Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Designing quilting

Recently I was asked by a follow quilter how I decide what quilting to use.  To be honest its not an easy process for me.  Making tops I can do in no time flat, but the quilting is a real chore sometimes.  The more I do it the easier it comes.  Two years ago I would just do simple follow the outlines in the quilt, straight stitching.  After sending my quilts to a longarmer I decided that I could do this if I put my mind to it.  So I saved and found a machine and here I am today.

I'm always looking at new patterns and designs on the net and looking at other bloggers work.  But this is my process. 
First While I'm making the top I'm thinking about what I'd like, then search the internet.  When the top is complete I take pictures of individual blocks or an area I want to quilt.  Making notes on the back.  I can also use these to draw on.  Or they are put into plastic sleeves and use a dry eraser to mark on the sleeve.

If that doesnt give me enough space then I break out the BIG paper.

With a big eraser!


All my ideas and drawings are put into the clear sleeve and hung by my frame.  If that quilt isn't on the frame then it goes in a folder of ideas.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...