Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Threads of Love tutorial 2

Part one of this quilt can be found here, Spool blocks and Fabric Requirements

SNOWBALL BLOCKS
 What you will need
  • (24) 5" charms
  • (2) 1.5" x 42" strips of gray sub cut to (36)1.5 x 1.5
  • (2) 1.5" x 42 strips of white sub cut to (60)1.5 x 1.5
There will be scraps of the gray and white that can be used later in the quilt.  Another tip:  if using precut charm pack, measure your charms, sometimes they can be bigger or smaller than 5 inches.

I suggest you use a design board to help decide the layout of your charms before adding the cornerstones to them.  There are 3 different snowball blocks.

(8) with 4 white corners
 (4) with 1 white corner and 3 gray corners
 (12) with 2 white corners and 2 gray corners
 Use this to help with your block layout assembly.  Numbering each charm will also help keep your blocks in order. I used a water soluble blue marker, labeling 1-24.  First I made all blocks with 3 gray corners, placed them back on the design wall. Then made all the 2 gray corner blocks, put them back in order.  And then the remaining blocks with 4 white corners.  
  ALL SEAMS WILL BE PRESSED OPEN ON THIS UNIT OF THE QUILT.
Block assembly
Mark all 1.5 squares with a diagonal stitching line.
Place one 1.5 square on each corner and sew on the line. 
 (when working with precut charms measure them before use, mine where a tad bigger than 5" so I lined up my cornerstones with the inside point of the pinking cut)
 Cut 1/4" away from the stitched line
Pressing the seams open.
(this picture is from another project because I forgot to picture this step)
Super easy!  Sew your blocks together and press your seams open.
I've linked up with Connie over at Free Motion by the River.  Connie has some of the most faithful followers with tons of inspiring projects and tutorials.

~Lea Anne~












Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I like it. I have one pack of charms that I've been trying to decide what to do with. I'll just bet I can find 6 more fabrics in my stash that would blend in nicely to make up the difference. Just need the yardage. This post is getting bookmarked with a five star rating so I don't lose it in the shuffle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is one sweet quilt. And thanks for the instruction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another interesting block to learn, no time to try at the moment but will return to this later in the year. My little book of all I want to try is getting very full.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...