Friday, November 6, 2015

Inner Scallop Border Tutorial Correction

Well quilty pals I've learned a valuable lesson this week in assumption.  I'll make this story short and to the point.  A few years ago I learned a technique from a fellow quilter and assumed because she was much older than I she was wiser and had shared an old time quilters technique.  WRONG!  The technique was The Inner Scallop Border(or so I called it).  Earlier this week I was contacted by the actual creator of this technique, Kari Carr from New Leaf Stitches.  For starters I've never heard of Kari Carr, boy did I feel like a real doofus!  The technique is in her book called
 My tutorial for Kari's technique was promptly removed from my blog.  Not only did I learn to ask questions about new techniques learned from other quilters, but I also learned that quilters really are the most understanding and kind people.  Kari was totally understanding and only asked that I give her the credit where credit was due.  


How could I not credit her for such a wonderful technique I've used several times over the years.  It adds so much interest to a quilt.  My favorite quilt using this technique is my Promenading Tulips.  This quilt just wouldn't be the same without it, thanks Kari.


And .....


Of course I had to google  "Just Around the Corner"   to see other quilts made using this technique.  Look at this! How adorable is that?!  Putting the scallop inside the quilt.  This is one of the quilts from the book.  Adding the scallop to the inside of the quilt really opens up a whole new world of possibilities for using this technique.  What other hidden treasures could be hiding in her book, it's a must have book!

I also didn't know Kari is the creator of the Clearly Perfect Angles. You can find them on her website here along with other great patterns and templates created by her.


Thanks again Kari for your understanding and a wonderful new technique.

~ Lea Anne ~
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Great post.I`ve never tried the scallop borders.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post.I`ve never tried the scallop borders.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was once told there was a copyright on the 9-patch block hahaha!! Although the folded scalloped borders is not a new or copyrighted technique at all, I love how you use it. I love your blog, your quilts, your tutorials, patterns and I like you! Keep up the great work! Amie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The copy right thing for quilters is a bit confusing. It can be hard to know what is a new technique and what has been around for awhile. Glad Kari was nice about it, I've read some stories where the "developer" wasn't at all nice about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry that you had this happen, but am glad that she was friendly and shared this information with you and all of us. I do not remember ever hearing or seeing her name either, but after looking at her site it is hard to imagine not hearing about her. She has created some spectacular patterns. I think your quilt is amazing and beautiful, but have not had the opportunity to try this method. It really does add such a splendid dimension to a quilt making it unique and outstanding. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to look up that book! I am always worried about accidentally using some one else's work too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Promenading Tulips look very pretty. So colorful and refreshing. And the technique you used here is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just purchased the book. I had run across your blog a while back and used your instructions and loved the results. I am glad that she was nice to you about this too. Otherwise I am not sure that I would have felt good about purchasing the book. And while things got a bit sideways I can tell you that without you tutorial I am not sure that I would have ever heard of her or had the confidence to have been able to do it. And your tutorial and this post is what sold me on the book . Thanks,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...