Sunday, February 14, 2016

Podunk Pickin's #20 ~ First Kiss Quilt Tutorial ~


Happy Valentines Day!  Hope Everyone is finding time to spend with their loved ones today.  As promised I'm here today to share my quilty love with each one of you.  How about a quicky tutorial for my "First Kiss" Quilt. 
* This post has been updated to add the correct measurements and PDF file


This tutorial will require a little bit of quilting knowledge and doing some of your math if you want to cut all your pieces before sewing.  All I'm giving is the measurements.  You also need to know how to stitch, clip and flip corners.   The yardage is estimated by EQ7, I always add a little bit, but it isn't shown in the chart below.  At the end of this post is a savable, printable PDF with the same basic quilt instructions.  

THE BLOCKS

You'll need to make 16 of the unit blocks below.  Now let me say I changed the leaves for your version of this quilt.  It will make pressing all seams open much easier.  If your up for a pressing adventure then change the 2 x 2 flippy squares on the leaves to 2.5 x  2.5.


It takes 4 unit blocks to make one large 24" finished block.  You'll also need 4 sashing blocks and 1 pink cornerstone square.

THE SASHINGS

Make 16, that's 4 sashings for each 24" block.


Make 4 larger sashing units


You'll need (5) 2.5 squares for the cornerstone sashings that make the stars.

 Assemble your blocks as shown below

THE BORDERS

The border heart blocks are a little different than the quilt heart blocks.  But they finish the same size.  Make 4 of the units below.


There's 8 scalloped blocks per side of the quilt.  That's 32 total.


The inner border measurements are shown below.  Assemble as shown.



The great thing about EQ is it allows you to see shape as well as color.  Here's one for the gal's who can't stand the LOVE theme.  The blue and yellow looks a little more Shabby Chic to me.


Of course I had to try one in SCRAP HAPPY!  OOOLALA!  Might need to make another one like this.


Of course I've a darker side that I rarely let out.  This one is Fig Tree prints.  Much softer and romantic.

If you'd like to print this for future use you can find the PDF by clicking here.  Also feel free to share your creations using this pattern and  #firstkissquilt.

Clicking on this image in the side bar it will take you to all previous Podunk Pickin's

Well that's my Podunk Pickin's freebie of the week.  Podunk Pickin's is all about sharing freebies and strutting your stuff.  You can strut your stuff below by adding a link to what you've been working on this week.  Or as always I welcome new and old tutorials from your blog or other social media.   Over the next few weeks I'm going to start featuring one your links from the previous week.  Remember you can link up old or new posts, it's all about sharing but please only one link per week during this feature time.   Don't forget to visit the other links, everyone loves visitors and comments! 



Pin It

28 comments:

  1. Just fabulous! Thanks for sharing your genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, thank you very much for the free tutorial! The quilt is beautiful, it's now in my list of future projects.

    Greetings from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Your designs are just beautiful. Thank you for sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful design... so sweet...I love it! Thank you very much for sharing this wonderful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the tutorial for this gorgeous quilt. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your designs - you are becoming one of my favorite quilt designers. Thank you for another tutorial. I cannot wait to make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a great quilt and tutorial I am sure lots of people will be making this

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! Thank you for updating the measurements and adding the PDF. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leeanne you are just the best for sharing this pattern for no charge. I have been in love with this from the first time you posted some pictures. Thank you SOOOOOOO much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful free pattern, thank you Leanne!! I love your red one, but the blue is oh so pretty too!! Ok off to download it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable quilt!! Thank you so much! I can see using one block as a sweet baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quilt. So pretty. And as you've shown, it doesn't have to be just for Valentine's Day. Glad I found you via MCM.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This quilt is so cheerful and pretty. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This quilt is adorable. I love gingham and dots and red...what can I say? Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial...lots of work and I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the neat pattern; you are so generous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is beautiful! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt. I really like your version, but the blue mock up is so pretty too. Thank you for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the pdf of a really great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous pattern! I love all the different colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a terrific quilt! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I first saw this quilt I assumed it was applique, and I was ready to give it a try. Now, seeing that it's pieced I'm super excited! It's a fun quilt and I love that you showed different color options. Thanks for sharing this on MCM!

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks for the pattern info. Very cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. thank you so much for the adorable quilt pattern. I loved them all, but especially the "scrappy" one. I love the yellow calico. I am thinking if I could figure it out, this would make a fantastic cross stitch pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. For me, it was love at first sight! Thank You for sharing this beautiful work of art. I love it! I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this quilt. Thank you so much for putting together the tutorial. I can't believe you give the patterns to these great quilts for free, but I'm not complaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous, I adore every version. Thank you for sharing your pattern, I am considering the block for a border:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...