Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Adding a little WOW

Designing quilts is a passion of mine.  Sometimes the ideas flow in in like rain and I can't get them on paper fast enough.  Watching a quilt take shape is always a surprise.


The quilt design is never set in stone.   The original design is always subject to change.  The quilty wheels in my head are always in examination mode.


By my drawn pattern this quilt would be ready to quilt...but something could be done to take the pattern over the top a bit.  


Oh yes, you all know me well, we gotta add just a tad bit of applique.  Now it feels complete with a little WOW.   For now the bias strip is just pinned in place so I can figure out the placement.  Next I'll glue it in place with Roxanne's basting glue so I can stitch it in place.


The blue fabric is bias strips of fabric cut at 2.5 inches, then sewing in half.  If you youtube bias applique strips you'll find tons of videos.  Most videos call for bias pressing bars.  They don't make pressing bars wide enough for this project.  I  made mine by eyeballing pressing the seam to the back.  You can see my seam at the bottom of the picture above.  No fancy tools needed, just a little patience and time.

~ Lea Anne ~

Pin It

31 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful Lea Anne! Love your border.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I hadn't thought of adding a bias strip to make the border curvey. You're a very smart lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lea Anne,
    So pretty - the bias strips to take it over the edge to perfect. ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute quilt! Love the bias strip idea. It completely changes the look. I also like to design my own quilts and make changes as I go. I only used patterns twice and they were Bonnie Hunter mystery quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That simple add just makes the whole quilt! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, wow, wow!

    thanks so much for linking up!

    brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! This is beyond WOW, Lea Anne! It is gorgeous. Can't wait to see your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bias border really does make a nice pop of wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It went from cute to fantastic! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the curve idea LeeAnne! Thanks for sharing this on Midweek Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That wavy border totally makes the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. a great quilt and the bias strip works perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so impressed, it's just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! is right!! The red/white border is great, but the wavy bias strip really makes it pop. What a great patriotic quilt. Love all your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it--the applique on the border is the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a fabulous idea to add the wavy blue piece!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the wavy border is so great!! It does take the quilt over the top to WOW! :-) Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  18. What do you mean a little wow? That is a LOT of wow! Perfect touch and a wonderful quilt to have ready for Independence Day coming right up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love to design too!! What a gorgeous quilt you have created!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Bias applique gave your border a WOW factor!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That border is amazing!!! What a punch it added!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The perfect upgrade! This already was a gorgeous concept, but your wavy border truly does take it over the top! So timely this week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This one definitely has a lot of WOW! I really like the red and white keyboard border.

    ReplyDelete
  24. it ill be good to see you featured in the BOM have signed up as always enjoy her BOMs said no more but could not resist this one
    หนังใหม่

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...