Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The forgotten flimsy

Good Morning Happy Quilters!  There's a whole lot going on in the studio right now that I can't it share with you.  Super secret quilty stuff is hidden behind the quilt below and it's taking every ounce of self control I have not to share it with you.  I'm horrible with secrets so maybe a sneak peek later in the week.  For now we'll focus on this quilt top.  I started it last year when caring for momma.  It was finished and shoved in the cabinet.  Measuring 91" she was hard to photograph.  Naming her has been a real challenge.  The thought was something more traditional sounding.  But my hillbilly mind could only come up with
 "Square Dancing in the Garden".  You know you just can't fight what and who you really are, it will surface every time.  So I've learned to embrace my country bumpkin ways.


A simple quilt with two HUGE blocks and a traditional sashing.  The colors are a bit out of my normal pallet, but I love the traditional feel.  The design came about one day when looking at vintage quilts.  I was trying to mimic the old fashion wreath quilts without doing applique, and then add the simple chain that you see so often in vintage quilts.  So what do you think?  Is it a keeper?  There's lots of great white space for a quilter to quilt it to death.  But I'm thinking this one might get some simple straight line quilting.  Hand quilting would be my choice but my hands don't agree...haha.


Now that top is done I wonder what it would've looked like in other colors.  LOVE LOVE LOVE it in yellow and red.  Just my colors, and would look fabulous hanging on the studio wall.


Of course my second love is scrappy....


Let's get wild and go 100% scrappy.  How cute is that.  For some reason it reminds me of the county fair and the ride called the Tilt a Whirl.  See I told you...hillbilly to the core!


Getting back to the more traditional color combos.



A little more shabby chic.


Oh this one is super shabby.


And a color combo Mr. Podunk would love.


After looking at in so many different colorways I don't like the original as much as some of the others.  Might need to make this one again in a different colorway.

~ Lea Anne ~
Pin It

22 comments:

  1. Hi Lea Anne,
    I think your original choice was just perfect. PERFECT. No changes needed. And, I think the name is very fitting! I mean, it is square dancing in the garden to a T. Hmm, I always love to see (and do) straight line stitching. I think you could make that work too - I can't wait to see what you choose. Don't put it away again - I'm waiting for an update. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pattern too and as you revealed each colorway, I loved it more and more. Great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its funny how we all respond differently to color and inspiration! While I do not care so much for your original flimsy I love it in several of the the other color ways you laid out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great pattern. I like the original one you sewed. It looks so very modern. I have unfinished tops laying around but not forgotten. Just not sure how to quilt them and waiting for that creative motivation to strike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fun pattern! I like the scrappy suggestions, because I have a ton of scrap, but all of the colorways are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a fun pattern. It looks great in all the color choices, but my favorites are the all scrappy and the two with the yellow background fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is so pretty! I really love the yellow + white background with the red flowers--I think it makes the wreaths stand out a lot more as circles. I also love the other yellow layout for the same reason. I think the bright wreaths against a subtle background makes me see wreaths instead of dancing flowers? I just love this, and it's fun to see all the color combos. What a great idea. So so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for quilting overload! Ton of space to go wild in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this... simple perfection! Thanks for sharing all those different color combos... so many pretty ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pattern, I love the simplicity of your first colour palette and all the versions that come later!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean about playing with colour options and coming up with your favourite AFTER you've made the quilt. That said I think your original is lovely, and I'd have trouble picking from the other options. There are at least four I love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is amazing how the same quilt looks so different in different colours, loving the 100% scrappy one best

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely a keeper! Love the name. Embrace the hillbilliness. Our church pastor is a hillbilly. I LOVE it when it surfaces. Things just make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely...and I think the name is 'spot on'. Each and every combination of colors is great. I liked them all especially the scrappy ones - yellow or white background - is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lea Anne, as much as I like your color options, I love your original best. Everything about it is beautiful and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely pattern, Lea Anne, and the name is wonderful. All of the color options have their own special appeal, but my heart was stolen by the scrappy version. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! This is so pretty! I really love the purple with the yellow flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The total scrappy one sings to me! Love your design!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the white background with the purple flowers: so pretty! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing
    หนังไทยใหม่

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so wonderful. I have been searching for 2 days for a Graduation Quilt idea for my Granddaughter...this is classic and vintage...do you mind if I use it for my Granddaughter Maddies HS Graduation that was in May. I missed it due to a mobility condition that hit me 20 months ago. I can now quilt again...putting her Photos on the back hanging on a clothesline held up by birds....hey, I am Dobbie, I can make anything I want!! haha....Thank you for sharing your talents....her sister Grads next May, so I am making 2, in different colors....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...