Friday, September 1, 2017

~ Cutting it Close, August Blocks ~

Happy Friday Friends!  I'm happy to say I'm keeping up with the Quilt Doodle Designs 2017 BOM, putting the last stitches in the August blocks yesterday.  The theme of this BOM is Grandma's house.   This months blocks really hit home.  Both of my grannies canned everything they could.  One of them even made her own ketchup and butter!  Ok the butter I liked but the ketchup...Heinz will do for me.


Once again I've made a few changes to the blocks.  Turned edge applique for the Ball label would have been impossible for my skill level.  The double machine stitch worked out great.   It was slow going but worth every minute in results.  


The little tomato stems were also way to tiny for turned edge applique so once again I just took my time, outlined the stem with the double machine stitch and then filled it in with more stitches.  This took about 45 minutes.  But I think it adds some nice texture to the block.  If you decide to try this for yourself I should tell you I did use a sticky tear away interfacing on the back of the block.


Up till now all the blocks in this quilt remind me of my Grannie.  It was nice to add a little touch of Gramps in the quilt also.  My Gramps had several tractors, most of them were red Farmalls, but a green Tractor seemed to fit my in my quilt a better.  I left out one of the stripes on the tractor simply because I didn't want to make another.


A little double stitch for the steering wheel and grass...


.... and the puff of smoke...too cute!  All of the applique was secured into place using a teeny tiny blanket stitch.  Lori Holt's line of Aurifil thread was used for the bright colors and Superior Threads Monopoly was used on the gray and brown fabrics.  The black thread is Gutermans. 


The new block for this month was just released this morning.  You can find it and  the details for the other blocks by clicking here.


Thanks for stopping by my little spot in Podunk!

~ Lea Anne ~


Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Awesome job Lea Anne! I really love the way you have done your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lea Anne, Your blocks are so adorable. I don't think I'd seen this particular BOM before. I'll definitely be checking it out. Happy sewing! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super duper darling. Your personal touches worked well. I have to catch up on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful blocks and love, love, love the stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute blocks - I haven't started yet but this gives me inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous blocks. Lots of fun too! Keeping up with BOMs is one of those challenges that no matter how hard I try, I usually end up behind. Congrats on keeping up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...