Thursday, December 20, 2018

~ A Gaggle of Geese ~

There's not been much time for sewing in the past few days but I've managed to get a few flying geese completed for my On Podunk Pond quilt.  I'm using the 4 at a time no waste flying geese method to make these as quickly as possible.  This method requires drawing a line on all the background fabrics and stitching 1/4" away from both sides of the line.  Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.  So instead of drawing lines I'm using the same no mark method that I used when making my chevrons and HST's.  


To use this method you will need one of the following or something similar.  Or you could make your own like the one I made here.  You will also need to know what size squares to cut for the flying geese.  Click here for a printable chart for the No waste 4 at a time flying geese.  These geese will not need to be trimmed when finished.  In my opinion it's a lot easier to stitch a little slower for better accuracy than it is to trim down the units after they are finished.  But if you prefer trimming down click here for a chart with larger measurements.  


I've set up my machine with a quarter inch foot and adjusted my needle to make a scant 1/4" seam.  This is the best set up for my fabric and thread.  I suggest you make one set of 4 flying geese to make sure your geese are finishing at the correct size.   Then make adjustments to your sewing machine if needed.  You may notice I've used no pins.  If you are more comfortable with pins, use them.  


The first stitch line is complete and I've flipped my unit around and lined up the edge of the presser foot with the corner.  Stitching another line 1/4" from the center of the unit.


Your unit should look like this. Wasn't that easy?!


Now cut in between the two stitched lines.  Trim off the little dog ears.


Press as suggested in your pattern.  Add a square to each new heart shaped unit. 


Line up the edge of foot with the corner as we did earlier.  Be careful, remember after making that first stitch or two we need to keep our eyes on the line and the tip of the square.


Flip it around, line up the edge of the foot with the corner and you guessed it.....Stitch that second line.


Cut in between the stitched lines, press and trim the dog ears.


 That's it, super easy and quick!  Now it's time to chain piece for the quickest way to fly through these units before Christmas.  Happy Stitching!






#onpodunkpondquilt #onringolakequilt #quiltvillemysteryquilt #flyinggeesequilt #quiltingtricks #podunkpretties





Pin It

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...