Sunday, December 16, 2018

~ This is FLIPPING fun! ~

A little here and there, that's what it took to get all 480 of these tiny 1.5" HST's pressed open.  Since these were heavily starched there was no reason to use an iron.  Sure they aren't laying completely flat but that's really not necessary at this point.


My rule of thumb for keeping the flippy corner bonus blocks is normally 2". It really just depends on my mood.  Sometimes I feel like doing the extra stitching and sometimes I don't.  But 2" and above always gets saved, it's just the 1.5" and lower that sometimes become compost.  I think had there not been so many of these they would have been scrapped.  But 480!  That's a lot of fabric, and really it wouldn't take much to make them into a good sized usable quilt.  If you're new to my blog and need more information on flippy corners you can find it here.


Before I go any farther this is just a reminder picture to show you where the cuties originated.  They are from my On Podunk Pond quilt.  The real name of the pattern is On Ringo Lake but I've no idea where Ringo Lake is and we have a pond on our property.  You can read more about On Ringo Lake/ On Podunk Pond quilt  here and here.


With a little help from Electric Quilt I came up with 3 quilt ideas using as many HST's as possible.  All of  the quilt ideas are larger than a standard baby quilt.  I think all of them could be considered a lap or throw quilt.
For each of these quilts designs I used just white and yellow but as you saw in the previous photos there's tons of color in the background fabrics.  So I'm thinking these would look amazing with scrappy background fabrics in the alternating blocks, maybe even some pieced low volume blocks.


These are just ideas for now.  The little HST's will be stored away until after the On Podunk Pond quilt is finished.  Then I can assess the fabric scrap leftovers.  Maybe there will be enough to make one of these quilts and maybe there won't.   Anyway, this quilt would finish at 60 x 70 and use all the (480) 1.5" HST's.  The block used to make the pinwheels is Majestic Mountain.  Pretty darn cute if I do say so myself.


This next quilt uses my Autumn Star tutorial.  I reduced the size to fit my HST's.  


The classic look really appeals to me.  But remember my fabric has much more color so it wouldn't looks so classic when finished.  I'm also playing around with border ideas in my mind.  Piano Key borders would be cute.  But what if I could dress it up a bit like I did with my Promenading Tulips quilt?  <---click there to see it.  That was not easy but it sure does make the quilt!


This quilt as is would finish at 47 x 58 and again use all of the HST's.  More of a lap quilt.  Adding the border mentioned above would make it much larger, I would guess around 10 -12 inches bigger at least.


This last quilt image was  my first idea.  The little on point stars finish at 4 inches and the quilt 
47 x 53.  Probably the easiest to piece.  It too would look amazing with the 3D scalloped border and scrappy alternating blocks. 


However, this one does not use all of the HST's only 448.  So there would be 32 leftover.  Maybe I could find a way to use them somewhere else in the quilt.  Only time will tell of what will become of the itty-bitty HST's.  For now they will go in a zip lock baggy and left in plain view so as not to be forgotten.


Linking up with with the following








#onpodunkpondquilt #hstquilts #onringolakequilt #bonniehunter #podunkpretties


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Great ideas, all of them! I look at a quilt with so many small pieces and know that I would never finish it, but with them being bonus HST's, well, that really would make it do-able!! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many options for all those cute HSTs. It will be fun to see which path you take. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. talk about making a commitment!! love the look, not sure I would ever finish it and that would drive me crazy! going to think about this one. thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well don't hold your breath on me getting it done. :) For now its just a plan. So much to do and so little time.

      Delete
  4. I started On Ringo Lake. If, and that's a big IF, I ever get back to it, mine will definitely be On Ringo Pond. We live on a pond and I know in my heart of hearts that I will never get around to making the entire Lake quilt! Love all of your ideas on using up your bonus HSTs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...