Wednesday, February 13, 2019

~ Digging Deep ~

I was invited a couple of months ago to join a blog hop called Dust Off a Quilt Book.  The blog hop is being hosted by Bea from BeaQuilter.  The idea is to make something from a book or magazine you already have in your library.  What a great idea!  I mean really, how many of us have oodles of books and magazines with pages that have barely even been turned?  We buy them with good intentions and put them on the never ending bucket list of "Someday I'll make this".   I don't have an actual list.  My method is to place bookmarks in the book or magazine and toss them in the cabinet.  To be honest I rarely purchase books and magazines anymore.  I hadn't purchased a book in about 2 years until this past December when I decided I needed the Bonnie Hunter collection.  When they arrived I thumbed through them all in one evening and then in the cabinet they went with all the others.  My library of books are rarely used so they are at the bottom of my old stash cabinet.  Over the years I've collected probably about double  the amount of books and magazines that you see here. Occasionally the book stash is purged and gifted to a new quilter or a thrift store.  I can see no reason to keep them if they don't bring me joy but could bring someone else joy. 


The dig for just the right project was overwhelming to say the least.  So many cute projects dating back as far as the late 60's.  But the older publications were quickly ruled out due to the lack of rotary cutting and templates.  You see in these older books and magazines you were given paper templates to trace for simple shapes such as squares.  And any applique was downsized and they would show them on graph paper so you could redraw the shapes.  Umm...I'm to lazy for all that work!


Some of my newer magazines really aren't that new.  I stopped my subscriptions many years ago and now only purchase the issues that really tickle my fancy.   I pulled a few of my favorites to add to the pile of  "maybes" for this blog hop.


Then it was my older stash of books.  Pam Bono is top of my list when it comes to loved designers.  So one of her books made the "maybe" pile.  And who doesn't have a fondness for Georgia Bonesteel books.

 
As I dug through my stash I realized my stash lacked new books.  Other than Bonnie Hunter's newest book the two below are the newest in my library.  Both of these were gifted to me in blog hops or an online giveaway.  Might as well add them to the "maybe" pile because they have some really cute projects in them.


I could sit here all day and look through all these books several times.  But there's things to do and quilts to make.  The "maybe" pile has plenty great projects that I would really like to make.  So I stopped digging, cleaned up the mess and picked a project from the magazines and books above.


 I can't wait to share my project during the blog hop...Cute!  The Dust Off a Quilt Book blog hop dates will be Feb. 18-22.   My day to share during the hop is on Thursday Feb. 21. 


You can read more about the hop over at BeaQuilter. Below is a complete list of the bloggers participating in the Hop.  I have to admit some of these are new to me.  I'm looking forward to making some new blogging buddies and hope you find some new friends well!

Monday Feb 18th
Turid at densyendehimmel
Pamela at Pamelaquilts
Selina at Selinaquilts
Kathleen at Kathleenmcmusing

Tuesday Feb 19th
Jennifer at curlicuecreations
Stephanie at stephjacobsondesigns
Kathy at Kathysquilts
Shasta at high road quilter
Theresa at bumbleberrystitches


Wednesday Feb 20th
Sharon at Vrooman’s quilts
Suzy at Websterquilt
Nancy at patchworkbreeze
Brenda at songbirddesigns
Karrin at karrinscrazyworld
Denise at craftraditions

Thursday Feb 21st
Leanne at Devoted Quilter
Jennifer at Dizzyquilter
Lee Anne at Podunk Pretties
Lyndsey at Sew Many Yarns

Friday Feb 22nd
Bea at Beaquilter
Barbara at Bejweledquilts
Marian at seams to be sew




#quiltingbloghop 

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that was ALOT of patterns/magazines! I did have a subscription for a couple of years (MSQC) but i couldn't keep up with quilting projects from each book so I stopped. I then purchased patterns i really liked and now i'm not spending my $$. There are patterns i haven't made things from and lots of free stuff on line as well. My goal this year was to cut back on shopping. PERIOD. and work with what i have for UFO's and gift giving. THEN a local quilt shop is closing-out of business- so I HAD to busy some fabric and ONE PATTERN at 50% off...so now I'm back to no spending. I hope no one else closes up, but I do enjoy looking at fabric..... :) Looking forward to your magazine project. I know it is going to be cute as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful hop - too bad I didn't catch the signup. I just scanned in some quilting magazines ranging from 1970s to 1980s and then thrifted them back. I also purchase all of my quilting books thrift. I have lots of favorites from those I've gathered. Sent back all the Georgia Bonesteel books as I didn't like them though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a genius idea! I'm constantly going through my old books and finding things I still want to make. I admire your discipline in not buying books, because I have none (no discipline, that is...too many books). Can't wait to see what you choose, and how you put your spin on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, momto1. I love looking through my old magazines and books. It seems to stoke the fires of inspiration and motivation. Although my tastes and skills have changed over the years, it's still fun to see the creativity of all the designers in past years. I, too, have little discipline when it comes to buying books, magazines, and patterns. I have an embarrassment of riches in that department. But I do try to limit my buying to sales or coupons. I know Lea Anne will have a terrific take on whatever design she selects.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...