Friday, February 1, 2019

~ How I Hung My Studio Quilts ~

After my Studio tour video I had a lot of questions about how I hung my quilts.  As you know I can be quite frugal and thrifty.  This is one of those times.  They were hung with a little hillbilly ingenuity. 


The video has all the same information as the blog post.  But as always I like to do a blog post for those who can't watch videos. 




The quilts rest on a curtain rod.  This rod was originally about 8 foot long and in three sections.  Mr. Podunk cut each section in half, giving me 6 short hollow rods.  He cut the rods with a pipe cutter.  Clothesline and Command hooks were used to hang the new rods. 


The tool below is a pipe cutter similar to the one used.  I forgot to take a picture...ooops...so I borrowed one from internet.  After cutting the pipe he sanded edges to remove any rough spots that could damage the quilts.
The clothesline I used is the same clothesline I use to make rope rug so I already had some on hand. 


Quilts can vary in weight so make sure you weigh yourself holding the quilt and not holding the quilt.  That should give you a pretty good idea of what type of hook to purchase.  All of my quilts weighed roughly 5 pounds.  This hook is good up to 4 pounds and was the largest clear hook at the store.  You can different styles and weights online and at home improvement stores.  


Instead of running all over town to find the perfect hook I chose to use 2 hooks which worked out better when it came time to add my bow to the top.  The bow was made with fabric I had on hand.  If you have never made a bow it's very simple.   A google search will bring up many different tutorials for bows of any size and style.  A rubber band was used to hang the bow.


Nothing fancy going on here, I just slipped it through the backside of the bow.


A little tip for threading the clothesline through the pipe.  Add tape around the end so the rope doesn't get stuck to the inside of the pipe. 


Over the next few weeks I'm going to TRY to do a Tutorial Tuesday every week until I get all the questions answered about my Studio.  But don't hold me to the Tuesday deadlines, they may end up on any day of the week, it just depends on my week.  Things tend to pop up around here and throw me off schedule from time to time.  Right now I'm working on a free quilt pattern.  I hope to have it posted in the next week or two.  





Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Very helpful and much appreciated. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! My husband is a handyman and will do this for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is A genius idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, especially using two command hooks. Quilts can be quite heavy, and those things have weight limitations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate being invited into your sewing area and see what you are up to. I too live "in the sticks" and no longer I a larger town where we had a quilt guild. I miss that. But being able to come in and see what you are up to really helps! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Instead of cutting down a metal curtain rod, you could substitute a piece of 1/2” or 3/4” PVC pipe. Less expensive to buy if you don’t have a curtain rod to cut down. The ink on them is easily cleaned off with rubbing alcohol and no sharp metal edges to possibly damage the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are in a humid area you can slip the rod through a pool noodle. The quilt won’t get marks from the metal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you are in a humid area you can slip the rod through a pool noodle. The quilt won’t get marks from the metal.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...