Saturday, March 30, 2019

~ Handy Old Supplies ~

Did you know I used sell handmade bags locally?  This little crafty phase didn't last long.  I couldn't produce items fast enough, the profits were low and I wanted to quilt not make bags.  The bag supplies have been stored away for almost 10 yrs.  Over the years I've considered donating or selling them but there's a little voice in my head...."you may need them someday". 

Well someday has finally come.  We need a new extra long dog training leash for Khaleesi.  After spending an hour researching training leashes it occurred to me, I could make my own with the old bag supplies.  Now to see if I have what's needed for a leash that is about 20 foot long. 


Would you look at all the hardware!  Opening up the old supplies stirs up the feeling of needing a new tote or handbag.  I really do like making them but who has the time.

  
Lucky me there is a clippy thingy needed for hooking the leash to her collar.  Hmmm....this was designed for handbags and key chains.   Would it be strong enough for my 64 pound German Shepherd?  Do I want to take that chance?  Uhhhh....No, I think not.   The mom in me worked up all kinds of bad scenarios. 


So while out doing my weekly errands and shopping at Meijer I found a King Chain that looks perfect.  A little bit  bulkier and better made.   



There's about 20 feet of this brown nylon webbing.   Brown it is, it'll match her beautiful fur.


A quick dig in the thread box produced a spool of Extra Strong Jean thread used for hemming dads jeans.  And guess what needle goes best with Jean thread?  You guessed it!  A Jean Needle!


This was the quickest little project ever.  10 minutes later I have a very long leash.  Yes my stitching looks awful.  I'm sure Khaleesi could care less.  It will serve it's purpose over then next few months.  


Our first day out on the new leash.  We practiced sit and stay.  She does well with both commands until I get about 10 foot away from her.  Then she takes advantage of the long leash and me not being right there to hold her in position.  I'm pretty sure she knows it's going to take me a bit to reel her in.  During this "reeling in" she does whatever she feels(sniffing for critters).   Dogs are so smart, but I know how to out smart her....HOT DOGS!  She will do anything for a little pieces of cut up hot dogs.  Today I'll let her get used to the new leash and following the "Come" and "Heel" commands.  She already does both really well.  Khaleesi has been certified as a service dog by the previous owner.   However, after having her trained and certified he did not keep up with all the commands.  Dogs need to practice these often or they forget them.  She does well with all but "Stay".  A command he did't use since she was basically in a cage for year.  I have faith in my girl and her ability to overcome past....one day at a time.







#germanshepherd #germanshepherdrescued #furbaby

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. haha, I have had the same problem with my dogs, very obedient when you're close by, but the further away you are, the more likely they are to do their own thing!I am sure she will be a great dog with a bit more work, especially as she did have early training. We had a rescue dog for sixteen years, and she was fabulous, I still miss hernow, even though she has been gone for 14 years. I wish you much luck, and love with her! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot dogs lol. Got to love using what you have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right we don't get the money out of making bags, but I still enjoy it. In fact I need to make up a batch pretty soon. Oh for more time in a day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear of the great progress with Khaleesi. Is there a story behind that name? Another thing that works well is bologna! Our first puppy that was given to us as a wedding gift kept getting into the house when she discovered our back door did not latch well. We kept coming home to a dog in the house and the door standing wide open letting all our heat out! She was a smarty and with the use of bologna for rewards for doing what we wanted her to, she learned how to close the door behind her when she came in without us having to tell her!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...