Saturday, August 3, 2019

~ My Poor Baby Girl ~

For those of you that have pets you'll understand this post more than those who don't. In the very short time since we brought Khaleesi into our home she has become my friend, my baby and an inspiration.  She's also great at giving me many laughs.  Her personality is changing and blossoming with each day that passes.  At around 18 months old she romps around like a puppy full of energy and wanting to play.  That in itself tickles me.  To think 5 months ago she was afraid to even come out of the horrible cage she had been living in for her entire life.  We still have the cage and she has access to it if she feels the need for that old security, however she rarely even gives it a glance.  Yesterday morning, like all mornings, she was full of energy.  Normally in the morning we go for a long walk and do a little training outside before it gets to warm for the both of us.  But on this morning we couldn't due to something I'll explain later.  So I put her on her long lead to allow her to run around the yard while I got a few things done in the house.  When I checked on her about 15 minutes later this is what I found.  That little booger had chewed up a newspaper.  Notice her looking away when she saw me looking through the window...LOL!  This newspaper is what I use in her training.  No I don't hit her.  It is used like a clicker to alert her.  Obviously she doesn't like my makeshift clicker.
  

We had a long day planned so I decided to leave the newspaper mess and eat before we headed out for the afternoon.  This new low sugar and carbs diet is easy to follow.  Staying away from high histamine foods is not.  So I pop a couple of Benadryl and enjoy some old favorites made low carb and low sugar.  A grass fed and finished cheeseburger with egg, dill pickles, onion, mustard and no sugar ketchup I made with monk fruit sweetener instead of the sugar suggested in the recipe.  Here's the video I used to make it.  TIP: the recipe calls for All Spice and Cloves, it's a bit over powering.  I had to double all the other ingredients to tone it down. My change made it taste almost exactly like Heinz Ketchup...YUM!   The Almond Flour bun is also homemade.  I make these 12 at a time then freeze them.  I rarely eat bread anymore but every once in a while a girl wants a burger. They are also great for toasting in the oven to make garlic bread. Video recipe for the buns here.  The coleslaw is my own creation.  It's your basic coleslaw recipe minus the sugar.  For the sauce I used Organic Non GMO mayo thinned out with Organic Non GMO heavy whipping cream, sweetened with Monk Fruit, salt and pepper.  Mr. Podunk had no idea he was eating healthy and gobbled down several helpings last night.  He normally won't eat my "health" foods.


Our big day out is not a fun day out.  A Vet visit due to an injury from getting over excited on her lead.  I'm sure everyone has seen the wire covered with plastic/rubber dog leads used in place of a chain when you need to let your dog out unsupervised in a non fenced yard.  They are very strong and work well as long as your dog doesn't over reacted to other critters being in the yard.  The wire cut into her where her leg connects to her body.  Of course I felt like an horrible pet parent.  After talking to the trainer and the vet I feel better and realize that this cut is better than her being ran over by a car. The only time she is on the lead is when we can't be outside with her.  


The cut is about 2 inches long with a rope burn that is about 6 inches long.  They decide to sedate her a little since she's a little nervous.  The sedation is more of a calming drug and is not meant to put her completely out.


After the drug kicks in we all goggle up for the laser treatment of her wound.  How cute is my baby girl sporting her goggles?  I couldn't help but give her a little Mohawk too....LOL!


This laser treatment is new to me.  The vet says it stimulates the damaged skin and encourages it to heal.


The whole process only took about 5 minutes and it's painless.


 Since the wound could not be closed with stitches we were sent home with an anti-inflammatory(doggy Ibuprofen) and antibiotics.


And of course the dreaded head cone to be used if needed.


Thankfully she's a good girl due to the medicine and we don't need the cone, at least not for now.







#khaleesithegermanshepherd  #germanshepherd #podunkpretties

Pin It

15 comments:

  1. i am so glad to hear fromj you again, sorry about the puppy injury, and really hope that you yourself will be feeling altogether better very soon!
    shoshana

    ReplyDelete
  2. active children and puppies, get hurt now and then... you got her to a good doctor and will take care of her. I like to read about your adventures with her, and how much you love her. Your food choices are really careful too... good for you. I never heard of monk fruit sweetener... does it cause less reaction than other sweeteners? It's a lot of work to eat well I think. Hope the baby heals quickly. Could Mr. Podunk put in a fence? Maybe one of the big stores like SAMS has a stand alone metal fence that could be used... my neighbor has one for his dog, or would that feel like another cage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MonkFruit has no effect on blood sugar. However like all sweeteners it tastes a little different than refined sugar. It's an all natural product. Most of the time I purchase Lankanto Classic, it's a mix of monkfruit and erythritol. For now Khaleesi is being trained to stay in the yard and off the lead. We're looking into some humane invisible fence options.

      Delete
  3. Poor baby....would a harness be better? I preferred that over a collar and leash but my Cocker Spaniel was smaller. I got tired of her choking herself on a collar and loved the harness. She went to obedience school but WE never learned to heel very well-mostly my fault. My dog had several operations and she hated the cone so I bought her one of those blow up doughnuts. At least when she ran into something with it on, it didn't jerk/jolt her. Take care and may she have a speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a harness but when we tried it out the wire still ended up between her legs. For now we try to go out with her so she doesn't need the lead. Our training was tested today when a deer peeked out of the woods, she bolted after it but listened to my command to stop....Thank goodness! There's no way this ole gal could keep up with a pup!

      Delete
  4. I love shepherds. They become so devoted and protective. I would love a dog but my disabilities prevent me from being a good pet parent. Thanks for sharing your dog with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw man, for your baby girl! I'm glad all seems to be going well, and I do love the mohawk. <3 Kathy [at] dynamicdorgans.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your HST tutorial! I bookmarked in my browser so I set up my sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you shared the stitches you used and how they look on machine. Its gonna really help me out. I too need to use more of the stitches on my machine. Love the 2 color quilt idea. Lovely in red for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandma taught me how to embroidery when I was a little girl, i use those techniques when I make my quilts, I'm no expert but i think i do okay

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...