Wednesday, April 22, 2020

~ Simply Summer Quilt ~

I took a little detour in the last couple of weeks to work on a simple blue and yellow quilt I started as a leader and ender project a year or so ago.  This is the umpteenth time I've tried the leader and ender technique and it just isn't my cup of tea.  So I decided to just jump in and get the piecing done all at once.

The simple patchwork goes together super quick.  I was making about 4 blocks an hour.  The quilt needed (64) 12" blocks and will finish at 96" x 96".   As you can see in the picture below my design wall was a tad bit too small but I made it work.


I had to get a little creative and put a few pins into the drywall and trim to hold the blocks in place.  


Now all I need to do is find a backing for this monster.  A quick dig through my stash cabinet for the backing produced a whole lot of nothing. 


Then I remembered I had a box in my office with four bolts of fabric in it that wouldn't fit in my stash cabinets.  Look at this cute blue and yellow floral print, it's perfect!


It would be better if it didn't have a pink dot in the center of the flower but it'll work just fine, don't you think?


Since the quilt pattern is simple I decided to keep the quilting simple.  The continuous circle quilting design is fast and easy.  I can't wait to get this one finished and on the bed.






Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Very cute and cheery! I, too, can't do "leader-ender" blocks. I can only think about one thing at a time! ☺
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of the leaders and enders in those colors! I admire those projects but know one isn't in my future. I can never remember to finish and end so I bundled those I had cut and gave them away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got to say that quilt is stunning, beautiful and bright! I just love it so much. I tend to like simple quilts like that and the colors are great. You have been busy. Take care and that would look so nice on my bed....
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do leaders and enders with scraps. I used to cut all my scraps into 4 or 5 inch squares and just grab random 2 when I'm ending a seam. When I have them all in 2s, I grab pairs of those and go for it. Those quilts aren't super cute like this, but it's a way of not having thread tails all over the place. I usually tie them when I get them big enough and donate them to the local homeless organizations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this quilt, these are my colors! Can't wait to see the quilting. I kind of do enders but I'm make 9 patches. I need about a million 3" finished 9 patches in blues for an upcoming quilt. I run strips through then just leave it attached to my machine so I'm ready to start sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beauty! I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lea Anne, this definitely looks summer!! I love you found that backing. It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, it will work just fine! Love it! So just curious, are all the blues and yellows in this quilt scraps from previous quilts or have you collected these as you found them? I recently thought I had all the blocks I needed for a kingsize quilt but then when I laid it out found out I had miscounted and was 10 blocks short. UGH. I was so ready to be done making those blocks and move on. So instead of slogging through making 10 more, I've been making them slowly using the leader ender method. I'm up to number 6 and I was happy to be able to move on with other projects while making those last 10 blocks one bit at at time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks beautiful, and the backing fabric looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...