Tuesday, May 26, 2020

~ Where did I get this? ~

Hi-diddly-o! Quilting Friends!  Do you ever find fabric in your stash that you don't remember buying?   Sounds crazy right?  Well I found this cute little bundle of Sugar Sack 2 by Whistlers Studio hiding deep in my stash early this morning.  I don't know when or where it was purchased but I'm so glad I found it.  Now what will I make?  That's another mystery!


The plan to have these Hunkering Down blocks on the wall by bedtime last night didn't happen.  I was close to my goal.  About another 30-60 minutes sewing should do the trick. 


I'm speed piecing these blocks using the webbing technique.  If you don't know how to web piece a block you can read more about it here.  It's a great way to save time and match up the seams without pinning.  


Before finishing the blocks this morning I decided to take a little walk outside while it's still cool.  And look what's blooming...Peonies!  Such a beautiful flower.  It's too bad that these can't be cut and brought inside.  I made that mistake in my youth.  Little did I know they are full of ants!  This flower can not bloom without them.  The little ants help pull open the petals and keep the flower clean.  You can't see them in the picture below but trust me they are there.


In the same flower bed is this Iris.  I call it "Toilet Water Iris" because it is the ugliest color of flower I've ever seen.  The picture makes it look better than it is in real life.  It has a muddy water color to the petals and the yellow isn't quite that yellow.  Maybe I should add something to the soil to make them change colors like with Hydrangeas.  Do any of you know if an Iris's color can be altered?










Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Such lovely fabrics! And your block is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a bunch of homespun fabric this weekend that I don't remember buying or what they were for. 😁

    I don't think that iris colors change due to the soil, but I could be wrong!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll need to dig the iris up and toss it. Plant something that you really like in that spot. Lovely fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. like Popeye, the iris is what it is! I had those in MD. My suggestion would be to plant bright purple or deep blue ones next to it. Color changes how it looks when it's next to another color. People say hydrangeas change according to acid in soil but I had two, a blue and a pink planted right next to each other in same soil and that was what they were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those fabrics, Lea Anne! As well as the peonies. They are one of my favorite flowers. We actually made mine and the mother-in-law's corsages from them for my daughter's wedding. So glad ours didn't have ants in them! LOL I did not know they were full of ants. Maybe it's a good thing those sticks that said they were peonies I ordered from a nursery never came up! I'd have surely tried bringing them in the house! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Hunkering Down block! And who knew? Ants!! I tried growing a peony years ago, and after about 5 years I got one bloom! And I'm not even sure if it is alive still: another plant is growing close to it,and if it is alive, it is all covered over! Maybe they don't bloom in Calif! :-) And I'm sure there are people who love iris's that would love that color! :-) Have a great evening! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that delicate iris color!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...