Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Moo-ving Along the Leader and Enders

Before we get into the details of this quilt on the wall I want to give a big shout out to Mr. Podunk for my new step stool. I love it!  No more climbing on kitchen chairs or wobbly stools. The lazy old grandma in me thinks one more is needed so I could step from one to the other in order to reach both sides of my design wall without stepping down.  But the reality of it is quilting is a sedentary hobby and a little stepping up and down will do me some good.  Maybe I finally get those buns of steal...HA!  Dream on old girl, you've never had them and never will.  Over 50 and a member of the Saggy Bottom Girls club.😂

Now that grandma is down off the ladder I can admire my design wall.  It's okay, kind of boring.  But for my first successful attempt at leaders and enders it's not bad.  Not to mention I didn't have a plan for the leaders and enders. I was just grabbing squares and sewing when I really wanted to cut the thread. After years of saying I was going to make a leaders and enders quilt I have finally got the rhythm down pat, but the old me is itching to put this girl together right now.   


The blocks are simple and it would be easy to get this one together in a day.


As I started pulling the blocks down off the wall and placing them on the mini design boards the designer in me said "What if?"


You may remember a previous post where I shared my quilt ideas for the leaders and enders.  The quilt on the wall was not one of the options.  The quilt designs were a little more complicated.  Simplifying the quilt design would make it easier and quicker for a newbie leaders and enders project.


But I just don't like how the super simple looks...so what if I add more white?  You know how much I love white spaces for quilting it to death.


But what if....we add a little more color?


And what if?


How about combining the two previous ideas?


Oh...more color? Hmmm...there's so many option.   I would need to cut more scraps but I'm loving these last two ideas.


So here's where I am now, back in the scrap bins of blue.  Should I decide to make either of the last two ideas, the added blues will be scrappy but the yellow will be cut from on yellow yardage because my yellow scrap bin is almost empty.  Or maybe a quilt shop trip is needed.  Our local quilt shop, Back Door Quilts, is having a sale.  Take all of what's on the bolt and get 20% off!  
 For now I'm walking away from designing and letting the ideas float around in my mind while I quilt my On Ringo Lake quilt.  See you soon, maybe I'll see you at the quilt shop!




















Pin It

10 comments:

  1. I'm like you with the leaders and enders.... I want to finish the quilt now. I have tried to use this method and get too impatient. Maybe another attempt is needed. I love your blues and yellows and, yes, the last two designs are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Man!!! I loved the first one up on the design wall... and then you kept going and now!!! I want you to make them all!!But I do have a favorite now. I wonder if you will choose it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, your tweaks to the layout resulted in so many great options! I am generally one who likes to start and finish things in short order but this concept of putting scraps to use while working on other projects sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last quilt option is perfect! I have used leaders & enders for years, but mine are all scrappy and not controlled like yours-it puts a bee in my bonnet! Good Luck with what you do with it, your quilts are always stunning. I've been a lurker for years, this is my first comment. Thanks for sharing your beautiful works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think blue and yellow is fresh farm house and I love how you shared the different settings. I miss those 'end of bolt' sales - I would pretty much buy my year's worth of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they're all great ideas. Even the simpler one you started with. I find that I always overcomplicate my own quilts to a ridiculous degree that makes it difficult to actually finish anything, and then I find myself really admiring the simpler quilts that other quilters post on social media. I suppose it depends on what other projects you have going on and how much you want to invest in this leaders and enders project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love ALL of your what ifs. Leaders & enders are the best

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the last design with all the ideas, so pretty! Enjoy your shopping and happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would be fun to run into you at a quilt shop. Your blog makes me laugh, you sound like me in so many ways. With yellow being one of my favorite colors I love all the quilts. Can't wait to see the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Each and any of those ideas for leaders and enders are wonderful. From simple to wow! It will be interesting to see what you do DO!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...