Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Boonie Blooms Part 1

 Who doesn't love a quick and easy quilt pattern that uses precut fabrics.  Sometimes we all want or need that quick quilt project to recharge the quilty mojo.  Boonie Blooms was designed just for that reason.  I needed something quick and easy to work on while life was throwing curve balls.  Well little did life know I've a pretty good swing for an old gal!


Today will be the first of about 2 or 3 tutorials to help you make your own Boonie Blooms.  However this series will not be a complete quilt tutorial.  You will need to print the free pattern and templates to complete the quilt.  I'll give you the links to them later in this post.


Boonie Blooms was designed specifically for a charm pack of Moda's 30's Playtime by Chloe's Closet.  That doesn't mean you need this charm pack in  to make the quilt.  It could quite easily be made from scraps of 5" squares.  You can see below that I've separated the charms by color.  
8 yellow, 9 green and 25 assorted pinks, blues and purples.


Fabric Requirements

(1) Moda 30's Playtime by Chloe's Closet
4.5 yards of pale yellow background fabric
3/4 of a yard of white for the inner border
1/2 of a yard of fusible webbing(heat n bond lite)

The fabric requirements for the backing and binding are below.  There will be no instructions for either.

4 yds for the backing 
3/4 of a yard for binding


 As you can see in the picture above I've used the raw edge method of applique.  It's quick, easy and if you follow the instructions on the fusible webbing it works great.  I used Heat and Bond Lite fusible webbing.  It can be purchased at Joann's, Walmart, and Amazon.  I prefer Joann's because I can use my 50% coupons.


To stitch down my applique I used Superior Threads Mono Poly-Clear.
This is the best invisible thread I've found.  It holds up to an iron and the dryer.  I purchased mine at my local quilt shop but can be purchased at many online quilt shops.


As mentioned earlier this is a free printable pattern.  No need to wait for the online tutorial, you can get started on your quilt today!   Download and print it here


The applique template sheet is separate from the pattern.  Download and print it here

A quick word about the template sheet.  Print it, cut 4 pieces of fusible webbing 5" x 5".  You'll need to trace the square of petals on the left onto 3 squares of fusible webbing.  And the one on the right trace onto 1 square.  

The bottom square is your applique placement template. 


As always if you have any questions or find a mistake please feel free to contact me by leaving a comment.

~  Lea Anne ~

Edited post...The issues with the printable patterns have been fixed.  
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. This is such a cute, cute quilt and a perfect use for those sweet fabrics. Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial, Lea Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I confused or what??... When I downloaded the 'applique sheet', what I got was IIBoonie Blooms insturctions but no applique sheet as shown in the directions. Can you help me? Thanks, Lea Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd start one in a heart beat, Lea Anne, but you know I'm moving - packing and on the road (almost 2,000 miles) within a week. Guess I'll have to wait. You know how hard that is!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a talent for making the sweetest quilts Lea Anne! And a very generous spirit with the way you share tutorials so often too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Lea Anne for another wonderful quilt. I have the perfect vintage scraps for this....Going to my stash hunting now....

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is turning out so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  8. i downloaded them , maybe some day i will have time to make it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh LeaAnna...I have a few charm packs that would look adorable in this pattern. You have me tempted. Thanks for the download pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Late as usual but I am having trouble downloading the template page for the Podunk Possies ... It's just not there. Suggestions, anyone?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...