Thursday, September 21, 2017

~ Blogger's Quilt Festival~ Entry 2

Those of you that have followed me for awhile know I have a soft spot in my quilting for flowers.  So it will be no big surprise to find that my second entry for the Blogger Quilt Festival@Amycreativeside will also have flowers.  
The funny thing is.... it too is a crossing tulip design.  My "Promenading Tulips" was one of those quilts that was design as you go.   I first designed the crossing tulips using a tulip block designed by Lori Holt.  Her design is just one tulip, 2 leaves and a stem.  I had to figure out how to make them cross.  Once all the blocks were made I then needed a plan for setting them.  That took a few days of internet searches for inspiration before finally deciding on the scrappy sashings.
The plan after the sashing was to add a simple solid white border and colorful binding.  That was until inspiration hit again.  The 3 dimensional inner scalloped border was a technique I learned from a fellow quilter.   I later found that she had learned it from the book "Just around the corner".  It was tricky and hard to do on such a large scale but the finished product was worth every four letter word blurted out in frustration, and let me tell you there were many.  The quilting was also design as you go.  It was put on my quilt frame with no ideas of what I would quilt.  Once I started quilting it I realized it would be best to take it off the frame, mark the quilt and then put it back on the frame.  Design as you go isn't the most efficient way to quilt but it is often how I work.  I seem to work better under some type of pressure.

Thanks for stopping by my little spot in Podunk!

~ Lea Anne ~


Pin It

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt and the scallop border may have been a pain but was so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to try a scalloped border someday, your quilt is absolutely perfect for having added it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous quilt! So bright and colorful too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A real beauty. I love this quilt. Actually I love all your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilt. The quilting, the fabrics, and of course, the border are wonderful. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your quilts have such a freshness about them, Lea Anne. They are happy and lovely. I really admire your talent for design and execution. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This quilt is beautiful. I love the way you have been able to bring your design together and make it work. Love the colors and you wonderful quilting. And the scalloped border is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love the crossed tulips! It's a fun, happy quilt.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lea Anne - what a pretty quilt! The scrappy sashing and final border are fabulous, but that three dimensional scallop!! WOWEE! The quilting is superb. I would say this quilt really spoke to you, and you really listened. I love every bit of it. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lea Anne this is a beautiful quilt. The quilting is so perfect setting off each of the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning!! The quilting is wonderful too. Great story of how you made it work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Love the bright cheerful colors

    ReplyDelete
  13. This quilt is a beauty! Everything about it is special, love the details and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a sweet quilt. Spectacular quilting! I think my favorite part is that adorable swag border.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of my favorites. The border design was inspired. Definitely worth all those four letter words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful quilt, these colours are a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful quilt!! I love the crossed tulips, the border with the swag and your quilting is just perfection!! I'd call it an heirloom quilt!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...