Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Quilt Doodle Designs 2017 BOM

Hi-diddly-O happy quilters!  It's been so long since my last post, but I assure you I'm still here and still just as obsessed with quilting as ever.  So come on in, grab a cup of your favorite giggle juice and have a seat while I share what I've been up to lately.  Since all the blocks have now been released for the Quilt Doodle Designs free 2017 BOM it was time to get my hiney in gear and get them done.  I've never been able to keep up with BOM's.  This year I'm determined to give it my best shot.


 Over the last week the studio has been a complete mess as I made the blocks.  Tiny little pieces of freezer paper pieces all over the floor.  I was doing my best impression of Eleanor Burns...just get rid of that with a quick toss over the shoulder.  The freezer paper applique was a little bit harder than expected.  In order to make some of the blocks changes were made to make it a little easier on me.  Cindy from Quilt Doodle Designs had designed them for raw edge applique.  When doing raw edge you can have tiny sharp points.  Those tiny sharp points are almost impossible (for me) freezer paper applique. 


Now I'm going to admit one major change that had nothing to do with points.  The theme of this BOM is... things you would find at grandma's house.  Well one of the blocks was Lilacs.  My grannie had lilacs but her hummingbirds and feeders were EVERYWHERE.   So I decided to change that block to fit my grannies house.


These blocks are all 100% machine stitched.  No handwork.  The applique was done using a teeny tiny blanket stitch and a collection of Lori Holt Aurifil thread that matched her Calico Days fat quarter bundle fabric used for the blocks.


Calico Days line of fabric is one of my favorite lines of fabric.  However I've a complaint about how Lori is doing her prints these days.  Instead of having 42 prints that can be bought in yardage she designs 3 panel pieces, each having 8 fat eighths printed on them.  I DON'T LIKE THIS.  I WANT YARDAGE IN ALL.  So I'll no longer buy any line that doesn't allow me to purchase all prints in yardage.  Why you ask?  Because I needed more of the small white prints used for the applique background.  In order to get them I needed to buy 3 yards of fabric but only getting a fat eighth of each of the fabrics I needed and then 7 fat eighths of prints that I didn't need.  So I decided to buy a different print.   The little yellow rose buds below is what I've decided to use for the centers and possibly the background fabric.  What do you think?


I think it's adorable.  Wishing I could get in several colors.  Now let me tell you a little secret...shhh... Lean in close and swallow your coffee.... It's Walmart fabric,   can you believe it?  Paid $2 a yard!  You betcha I bought the entire bolt!


~ Lea Anne ~


Pin It

17 comments:

  1. I just bought some of their 1.00$ a yard fabric. lt felt good when I rubbed on a single sheet of it so I bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a chuckle at your subtitle, where quilts grow like weeds. Not in my house. Only my stash grows like weeds. Very cute quilt you grew. Claire aka knitnkwit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these blocks! Wow these are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous, I love your fabric choices and appliqué. And the yellow Rosebud fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks are gorgeous, indeed! Your fabric choices are perfect! I agree with your complaint about the fat eighths in Lori Holt's bundles. There have been so many times I've wanted yardage of a particular fat eighth - not available. Big Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so pretty! But fun too. I love your humming bird/flower block, that's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always, the most perfect colors. Great fabrics too. I'm working on those blocks too. Only eight done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. some very pretty blocks you have here. So envious we have Asda here owned by Walmart but they do not do fabric.Like you I buy my fabric usually a metre at a time but sometimes more though do pick up the odd fat quarter ocassionally

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hummingbird block is my favorite! Adorable....and I hope that my grand's will always remember the hummingbirds that they feed at my home! Sweet. Your Walmart must have a more experienced buyer than ours-I stroll down the fabric aisle every time I am in there, and rarely find fabric that has to follow me home. Love the rosebuds-perfect for your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not found a great buy like that at my Walmart in years. This quilt is so you! It's fun to see it coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you've taken cute little applique and showcased them with the plate piecing. Adorable!
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful applique blocks! But I hardly ever find fabric that cheap at Walmart except maybe after a major holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what you have done and the colors are great

    ReplyDelete
  14. So darn cute with the fun fabrics you chose! Thanks for sharing these pretties on Midweek Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the sweet yellow rosebud fabric. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boy! Those blocks are so adorable!!

    I agree about how the Lori Holt fabrics are being made. Very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...