Friday, July 28, 2017

Friday Finish ~ The Patriot

Happy Friday quilty friends!  I'm doing a little happy dance today because this one is finished.  A simple name for a simple quilt..."The Patriot".  


You know we often get caught up in the new more elaborate quilt designs but really the old simple patterns have a charm all their own.  


There's a reason they're called classics.  Classics last forever, while the new patterns have a long way to go before they can reach this much desired label of classic.  Sadly, many will never make get the classic label.


 You can take a classic pattern of nine patches, add the classic colors of red white and blue, and you have yourself a quilt that will be treasured for generations.


I had to share this picture below.  Mr. Podunk thought he was comic of the year when I said "Ok now the backside".  He such a goof.  So there it is girls, Mr. Podunk's backside.  What you don't see is him doing his little booty dance/wiggle.


Well back to the quilt, the backing is a LakeHouse Fabrics print.  White backings show off the quilting.  I love white background fabrics and backings.  So traditional.


The swag quilting on the border also felt sorta traditional.  I was trying to keep it simple but AWE worthy.  Did I manage it?  And the blue binding frames the quilt nicely.  It's from my vintage stash.


One more picture just because it's my favorite.  This was during the process of taking it off the quilt frame.  The lighting was excellent in the studio for picture taking.  It shows off every feather.


For those of you that have been following me for a long time know that I'm no fabric snob.  I'll use any fabric.  So here's my list of fabrics used.  Blue nine patches, outer red border and backing are LQS fabrics(all purchased on sale). The white background is Joann's Kona white, purchased with a 60% off coupon. The red triangles are Walmart fabric and the Navy blue is Vintage fabric from who knows where, purchased at an estate sale.  If I had to guess I would say it's not very old, maybe the 90's.  But still consider somewhat old.

Thanks for stopping by my little spot in Podunk, have a great weekend!

~ Lea Anne ~
Pin It

22 comments:

  1. The quilt and quilting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simplicity at its best! I love how you spaced the 9 patches. Your quilting is definitely awe-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep...That "backside" is a classic if ever I saw one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just a gorgeous quilt! and the feathers - wow!!! frame the backside photo - ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, you should have added a gif for Mr. Podunk's wiggle - that would have been highly entertaining. I have a vintage fan quilt I want to have feather quilted. Just have to get some $$ together so I can send it to the longarmer. Am so excited because my backing is Michael Miller pineapple fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great, I love your husband's humor! Looks like something my husband would do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is beautiful. Yes, you succeeded in combining simple with Awe! :) Boy, our men crack me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's fantastic...definitely awe worthy! I like simple patterns, too. My favorite is Irish Chain which is similar to yours. I love the way you arranged the blocks! Mr. Podunk is so funny. I will have to show that to my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In style today, yesteryear, and in the next century. A fantastic classic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've created an absolutely gorgeous quilt, Lea Anne. The feathers are perfect for the quilt and add so much. You are right...this one is for the ages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a beauty had to chuckle when you said the old simple patterns are the best simple not sure feathers counts have not managed to do them though have practised a few times

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's beautiful! So true about 'classic' designs. Congratulations on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful quilt. I love the simplicity of simple quilts. They look so lovely with feather quilting. Savor the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is gorgeous--the pattern and the quilting! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And show off those feathers you should, they are beautiful. I agree classic blocks make wonderful quilts. This quilt is a show stopper:) Silly Mr. Podunk sounds kinda like my DH. I actually found some wonderful flannel at my Walmart this past week for .50 a yd!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely quilt, I adore classics and this one hit the mark. The quilting is fabulous, I love the feathers. Beautiful, gorgeous, what more can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous finish! Love the colors and the feathered quilting. As you say, a very classic combination.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Classic, maybe, but not so simple. Your quilting makes it gorgeous! Love your hubby's sense of humor, too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a beauty had to chuckle when you said the old simple patterns are the best simple not sure feathers counts have not managed to do them though have practised a few times
    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...