Tuesday, July 2, 2019

~ Searching for MOJO ~

  Today I'll start down a very unfamiliar path in search of my quilting mojo.  In my 30+ years of sewing and quilting this is the first time I've needed to push myself to do what I love.  It's the strangest feeling.  Everyday I read quilting blogs, quilting Instagram post and scroll through hours of quilting on Facebook but I just can't seem to find the gumption to get back in the studio.   Maybe a quick quilt finish will help build up my mojo.  Honestly I don't even have enough in me to design my own quick quilt.  Quilt math....UGG...not going to happen.  This lack of enthusiasm has spilled over into my entire life.  It's been quick and easy meals, very little housework and absolutely no yard work.  Sigh....time to put on my girl panties, stop the whining and buck up buttercup!  Baby steps, just do SOMETHING! So I did, I pulled fabric for a new easy project. 


I'll be using these fabrics and joining The Disappearing Nine Patch Quilt Along by Julie over at The Crafty Quilter.   Her tutorials are very well written and easy to follow and best of all I don't need to do any quilt math. 

The two Elm Park by Laura Ashley charms are leftovers from a Dresden project(UFO).  This line of fabric is a couple years old but if you do an online search you can still find some of it out there.  Normally I use a bright white background.  For this quilt I've chosen to use a cream print to match the background in the charm pack.  


The colors of the Essential Dots #8654 match the charms almost perfectly.  


The slight color difference in the green and aqua shouldn't be notice able.  And if it is.....back away from the quilt until it looks better!


Of course what's a quilt if I don't include a little Lakehouse Drygoods fabric from my stash.  The pattern in this quilt along calls for 2 consistent fabrics, one being the background and the other is the center of each nine patch.  This line has hints of green in a few of the fabrics in the charm pack.  So I thought a green fabric would work best as the center for my nine patches.


Now to choose which green?  I love them both.  I could use them both. The green below is one of my all time favorite prints from Lakehouse.  I have it in every color.  So dainty and cute.


Which green would you choose?








#disappearing9patchqal #quiltalong #freequiltpattern #lauraashleyfabric #showmethemoda #pamkittyplayswell #podunkpretties #quiltmojo


Pin It

21 comments:

  1. Your fabric choices are great. I love that background fabric. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. You've been going through quite the health issues. I hope you are continuing to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the one that is more green and less flowers. All of the prints are adorable but a less busy print in the center of the nine patch. This will be a cute quilt, hope it helps gets your mojo back. Don't worry about losing your mojo, it is just taking a break. Sometimes with health issues fun things can take a backseat for a while, but it will come back. Last year I was in treatment for breast cancer and worked on a couple BOMs I had already started. Since treatment ended and I rested a bit, now I am getting lots of projects finished and things are back to normal. Last mammogram showed no sign of cancer and I am raring to go! Don't stress over it, just rest and before you know it, things will click and you will be back to your old self!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Laura Ashley prints! I, also, have one of those Lakehouse Dry Goods - the one in the top photo. The one in the bottom photo is very cute, though. I purchased so much of that Pam Kitty Morning fabric to make 2 quilts and believe it or not, I have sewn neither one. They have been used in multiple projects, though. The quilt along looks fun, but I am just too busy this time of year, I guess. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this fabric in a FQ bundle. Love it- so cute. Your quilt is going to be sew pretty (as usual) I would use the green with small print if it were me. I'm quilting along with Julie too. 'm not where i should be with working full time, but i'm glad I'm able to participate. Good to "hear" from you..I"m catching up on my reading during my work lunch. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about getting some sunshine and accepting the break from sewing? I totally understand feeling like you should be quilting and having no desire, and that's okay. Offer yourself grace to just be without any expectations. I would use the green with less flowers in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do understand when MOJO goes. I've been doing lots of EPP but just haven't gotten the bug to go into the sewing room and do anything new there. Looks like you're heading in the right direction. Maybe you'll be my inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my biggest fears, that I just won't want to sew anymore. I think I fear it because my mother stopped sewing once we kids were grown and I have never understood it. Even when I would ask if she wanted to make a quilt, she would say no.

    My time for sewing ebbs and flows, and now in the summer, my garden takes up most of my time, but when I need to relax, into the sewing room I go, even to just piddle around picking up, refolding and maybe even sitting down and sewing. I am in the middle of a large project, a quilt for my last son-in-law to join the family, a police officer. I am making a star quilt from various shades of blue and gray. The back will have a large thin blue line flag, that I need to design.

    I woke up at 4:00 a.m. going over everywhere I am behind, but reading your post today, it reminds me of a conversation I had with my sister the other day and she got downright mad at me for being so hard on myself. Why are we women so hard on ourselves. I say go pet Khaleesi and relax for a few days. I have housework, bookkeeping, visiting my mom, making a strawberry pie, making my granddaughters birthday gifts (new aprons), then another 49er apron for a child for a friend, I have two baby quilts to quilt, I have packages to mail. I think I need to do a brain dump, maybe that will help. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been there.... usually I do a lot of something else, reading, writing, painting, beading, going to museums, recharging.
    Your fabrics are fresh and pretty, just your style. Hope Kaleesi is doing well... she made a big change in your home and that has ripples,
    Leeanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes you just need to give yourself "permission to relax"....then just start something ... then the enthusiasm and energy usually comes right back! Looking forward to seeing what this happy bunch of fabrics becomes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the brighter green with less flowers would be best. If it is going to be the middle block, it will be cut into fourths and it will give that extra color needed in smaller amounts. Just my opinion--your quilt, so do as you wish. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. MOJO, where ARE you?? Come back, back back, wherever you are! It will. You have been through an awful lot lately so please don't push yourself. I think this project sounds perfect. Both those greens are so yummy and cute. I love them. I think I would chose the smaller print that is more consistent when cut up. The larger one could actually appear to be more pink or red depending on on what part of the fabric the piece was cut out of. If the consistencey of color doesn't matter to you then either one will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I no the feeling, ever time I want to sew something comes up and then I'm over it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have missed your blog posts for some time, Lea Anne.....Are you doing any better? Can you update us?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you are getting that ole quilting feeling and will be watching for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed seeing the first block and look forward to the next. my email is ivysmart1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I AM NOT SURE IF I AM DOING THIS CORRECTLY. pmdsolutions@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sure enjoy these BOM. mestevenson2002@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your choice of fabrics for the "Happy Little Things' BOM. I had not seen a block using only 2 colors. I am going to keep that in mind. I just discovered the OLFA cutting tool, Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love to quilt different kind of projects. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the red and white fabrics in your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...