Thursday, August 15, 2019

~ The Quilt Stare ~

I know I'm not the only quilter with this issue, the quilt stare.  Some of you may be wondering what the heck is the quilt stare?  Well, I think there's more than one type of quilt stare.  The first type is when you have a beautiful bundle of fabric that you absolutely love, it's laid out on your cutting table with the intentions of using it for just the right quilt pattern.  But it can't be just any pattern, it must be the perfect pattern for these gorgeous fabrics.  So you stare at the bundle for hours, occasionally you'll pull a pattern or surf the net for ideas. Until hours later you are still exactly where you started, staring at them.  I've done  this many times with the bundle below.  The stare didn't produce anything but wasted time.  The bundle still sits in my cabinet waiting for the perfect pattern.


The second type of quilt stare happens once you have chosen the perfect pattern for this perfect bundle.  Now it's time to chose the perfect fabric combinations for each block.  Carefully we audition the color combos. Stepping back away from the fabric is a must, making sure those fabrics look right at 2 ft away, 5 ft. away, and from way across the room.  Once you have made the perfect fabric combinations and cut your fabric then comes the third type of quilt stare.  This is happens while you piece the quilt.  I often find myself sewing along not paying any attention to what's going on with my hands and the needle but looking at the fabrics in the quilt.  This is the most dangerous type of quilt stare.  I've had more than one needle in my finger due to being distracted by beautiful fabrics.


On this day I decided to stop, step away to admire my gorgeous simple quilt.  Sigh...florals and polka dots, they make my little ole heart go pitter-pat.   My mind drifts off, imagining this quilt finished, draped over the back of my white rocking chair on the back porch.  A cup coffee and a good mystery book sit on the side table calling me in for an afternoon of relaxation.  Will this ever happen?  Well I may stage this for a photo shoot but actually sitting down to read a book doesn't happen much these days.  Audible books is how I get through a good book.


The fourth type of quilt stare is when the quilt top is complete.  Now it's time to decide how to quilt the quilt.  This is the most common type of quilt stare.   I have quilts tops that have been waiting for years to be quilted because I STARE at them and never come up with a quilting plan.  Are they that great of quilt that I have to have a fabulous quilting design?  Nope.  I'm just picky I suppose.  


Over the years I've learned to put the quilt on the frame even if I don't have a plan.  When I do this it means I'll go with a simple quilting design.  Elaborate quilting designs that need lots of pre-marking can't be done once the quilt is on the frame.  Maybe I can come up with an quilting plan while preparing the backing fabric.  The backing for this quilt will be the scrap leftover from the background fabric and a green print from my Lakehouse Drygoods yardage stash. 


The backing took about an hour to press, trim and piece.  But still no plan has been made for the quilting.


Maybe if I look at from over here.....


....or over here.  Hmm....I'm stumped!


If you need me I'll be in the sewing room in...STARING.






#disappearing9patchqal #quiltstare







Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post. I have been guilty of all of those "stares." I have more than one WIP that are just combos of fabric, nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take a picture and look at it to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I do all of these too, but the quilting stare lasts the longest!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there...done that to all of the stares! Especially the quilting stare and even more when I have a customer quilt on the frame! Lea Anne, I love that Riley Blake bundle. Please tell me the name of it! Love those colors! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I tell people about my quilt staring, I say I am letting my quilt marinate. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  6. every art quilter knows the stare. Place an element on the design wall, step back, look, look, look. Ask if it works, leave the room, come back and move something. Yep. I liked your paragraph with the quilt, good book and rocker. What an image. (hi Khaleesi)
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just staring at the beautiful quilts on your wall! :-D Gorgeous!! And for your quilt on the frame: a feather pattern in the border, ribbon candy in the sashing, and a beautiful all-over flower throughout the center? So easy to plan someone else's quilt!! :-)Good luck on your decision!! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post. I have a bundle of William Morris prints that I think I’ll be staring at forever. Meanwhile I listen to audiobooks these days too rather than reading. Happy staring and stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved in Martinsville in 1964 or 1965, who can remember that long ago. I loved it there. My neighbor had a Siamese cat who would come to my house and beg to play with my cat. Very talented, that cat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the red and white color choice you made for the BOM. Would love to win the Aurifil threads.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...