Saturday, May 23, 2020

~ Home Again Blocks ~

Hello Quilting Friends!  Its been a while since my last blog post but I've been busy working on several different projects.  Before I share my current project I want to let you know that I post almost daily on Instagram and Facebook because it's quick and easy.  
So back to what has been keeping me busy and excited.  Erin Russek has once again designed the cutest FREE BOM called Home Again.   She gives you 16 blocks free in two different sizes.  There will be several options for finishing the quilt.  The block below is the large center medallion that must be purchased at a reasonable price.  You can get all the details about the free blocks and where to purchase the center block on her website HERE.


The fabric in my blocks is mostly discontinued Lakehouse Drygoods fabrics.  But there are a few others prints from various manufacturers.  The background fabric is from the Sugarhouse Park collection by Amy Smart for Riley Blake.


To keep things quick and easy the applique is done using raw edge fusible applique method.  Heat N Bond Lite is my go to for this method.  It's the only product I've found that does what it claims it can do.


A technique called "windowing" helps to reduce the stiffness of fusible applique.  You can see and example of this technique I used on another quilt HERE.  


Cutting out applique shapes can sometimes be tricky so I shared a few tips in a video.  Click here to watch the video.



The green Rapidesign circle template is what I use to trace the circle shapes to the Heat N Bond Lite.  I purchased mine at Office Depot but they can be found at any craft store such as Joann's or Hobby Lobby.


And the reason why I keep showing scissors in almost every picture is because a good pair of scissors makes all the difference when cutting raw edge applique.  I love my Kay Buckley scissors.  I have them in several sizes.  And cutting paper with them does not dull them like other scissors.  You can purchased them HERE.


You might also notice I've made a slight change to the stems in some of the blocks.  The pattern calls for embroidery stitching.  UGG...As you know I'm not a big fan of handwork.  So in true Lea Anne style I changed things up a bit.  Later next week I'll share how I made my stems.



These little birds is what really sold me on this pattern.  I'm a sucker for birds, especially bluebirds.  They are so cute!


All of my blocks still need to be stitch into place.  I'm leaning towards using Superior Thread MicroQuilter 100 wt. 7002.  But this isn't set in stone. I'm also considering matching the thread color to the applique.  Only time will tell.





Well that's all of them so far.  Hopefully I can find time this weekend to make block 13 that was released yesterday.  Another cutie!  The image below is Erin's Block.


Oh! I forgot to mention the BOM is now a block of the week due to our stay at home orders.  Erin decided to speed things up since so many of us are hunkering down at home.  

See you soon!






Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I have a stash of Lakehouse fabric by Pam Kitty that’s just sitting there. I could be convinced to share if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are beautiful, so bright and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these happy blocks! Thanks for sharing the circle template...I'm sure it's more affordable than the "quilter's circle templates"... isn't it funny as soon as the word "quilt" gets associated with a product, the price of said product zooms sky high? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your beautiful blocks, Lea Anne. I have downloaded all she has so far and will purchase the center soon. Wishing I had some of the Lakehouse fabric!! It's beautiful. I also wish Erin had a way to get email feed when she posts. I clicked on the RSS feed and it's just a black screen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such beautiful blocks! I love your fabric choices! I've been eyeing Erin's blocks, but am hesitant to start ANOTHER quilt! :-D But your fabrics are calling at me to go ahead! Beautiful!! Hugs,H

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...