Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Keeping busy day and night

Happy Hump Day quilty friends!  Boy time just flies by these days.  I'm staying busy with a couple of projects.  During the day while taking care of mamma I've a handwork project that you can see in my previous post here.  In the evening it's UFO time.  I've been tackling the one below in the last week.


It's a pattern of my own design with huge 22.5" blocks.  This one was pushed aside when I realized I didn't have enough red fabric to make the borders.  The borders were a bit tricky to make, it was a learning experience that went really well, YEAH!  No miscuts, of course I bought extra fabric just in case.  My first row went together last night without a hitch...WHOOHOO!


Since the quilt is scrappy I had to find away to pull it all together.  The key to a successful scrappy quilts is to have at least one fabric that is repeated and consistent.   My first plan was to make this quilt without the fancy borders and NOT set on point.   But you gals no me by now, my plans always change.  Anyway I had lots of red gingham scraps that I wanted to use up and they worked well for my repeat fabric.  But then a brain storm hit and I decided to add a fancy border, which also has repeat fabric for consistency.  


 The gingham adds the sweetest little charm to this quilt.  The applique block is my twist on two different blocks.  The Rose of Sharon and The Pomegranate.  All machine appliqued of course.


Want a closer look at that invisible machine applique?  You can find a tutorial here on how I make it look like tuned edge handwork.




~ Lea Anne ~



Pin It

17 comments:

  1. So pretty Lea Anne! Red white abd blue is so fresh looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love the colors and the mix of applique and piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so pretty and red, white and blue is such a classic combination xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is my all time favorite of the quilts you have made! I'm so glad to see it again. The borders are perfect. Enjoy your creative time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lea Anne that is coming together just beautifully! I love that gingham-is it 100% cotton? I guess I should be keeping my eye open for some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every single post you make amazes me. Absolutely love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty! I love gingham, but afraid many think it too old fashioned. And you are so right about the trick to scrappy quilts - keep one fabric repeated and consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt is wonderful! I love the use of the red and blue and the applique is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a true talent. I love your work. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done! The red and blue make me think of summer (probably because it reminds me of picnics for July 4th).

    ReplyDelete
  11. You continually amaze me with your beautiful designs! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is just lovely, as is all your work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A girl after my own heart....Love Red ,White and Blue. So Beautiful! I was thinking about the Rose of Sharon block the other day. Love your version of it. Janita

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it--so cute! The gingham is a very fun addition, and I can see the border was really tricky--it would hurt my brain to have to figure that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful work Lea Anne, that is a fantastic pattern too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...