About every three days our small garden will produce enough ripe vegetables for a day of canning. Twice in the last week I've spent nearly the whole day processing yellow squash, zucchini and salsa. You may be wondering why I'm canning squash and zukes, it's for making dog food.
I've also made two half gallon jars of refrigerator bread and butter pickles for my son and a friend. The pickles are good for 3-6 months in the fridge. I also canned 7 pints of these pickles to see how well they hold up. I'm not holding my breath on having nice crunchy pickles because I've not had much luck in the past. Preserving a shelf stable crunchy pickles is not easy, well, I've not found a recipe that will stay crunchy for more than 3 or 4 months.
Of course summer wouldn't be summer without making zucchini bread. It makes for a quick and easy breakfast for Mr. Podunk. Later in the season I'll make a few more and freeze them.
Quilting has taken a backseat to gardening, yardwork and canning. With Mr. Podunk unable to do much since his foot surgery I'm doing a little extra work and running a lot of errands. In between all chaos (12) 16 patch blocks were made. Maybe later today I will find the time to press them.
In the early mornings and evenings I've been making Yo-yo's.
Thirty-one more added to the bin. I need to start looking for a new storage container. By the time I finish the all the blue Yo-yo's this bin will be overflowing.
I haven't forgotten about the tiny scraps needing processed. I think this is bag number three.
It took 3 days of working on them a little at a time.
As a general rule I don't like fussy cutting fabric. But with these one inch squares I'm taking the time to do a little. It makes me happy to see that little flower in the center.
Today big project .... making 30 days worth of dog food .... about 4-6 hours in the kitchen.











No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Blogger has decided to make all comments on my blog no reply comments. When this issue is fixed, I will respond to comments via email whenever possible. Until then, if you have a question, please feel free to email me at podunkpretties@gmail.com
Happy Stitching! Lea Anne