Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Vintage Sewing Patterns

I spent some time yesterday piddling around in the studio.  Digging through the UfO's, looking for the inspiration to get me stitching again.  After deciding to work on my Cherry Blossom Marmalade blocks I needed the help of EQ to decide how to set them.  Well Look what I found under my desk!  (Funny how we spend money and forget.)
I hit the vintage pattern jackpot a few weeks ago!  $10 dollars for everything I'm about to show you.   
 A seamstress I'm not but who could pass these up!
So lovely...dreaming that I could actually make it and WEAR it!  Dream on girl!
 Some of the older patterns, funny how pattern making has change.  It was odd to pull out a pattern and no markings at all on them! Just funny shaped pieces of tissue paper.   We are so spoiled!
These below are dated 60's and 70's, I'm pretty sure my momma has some of these patterns.
 a banana box full of 80's and 90's patterns
 a bag full of mail order patterns with no envelopes
 And the one that I "think" may be the oldest.
I've no idea how to date them.  Anyone know anything about dating patterns?  My plan is to some how frame a few of these for the studio. Although most of the packaging isn't in perfect condition the patterns themselves seem to be in good condition.  Maybe I could use them for bartering for quilty goods!  Hmmm...
We'll see...
Now back to the studio, maybe I'll find some more hidden treasure!

Lea Anne

 

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a find. The styles certainly have changed through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! Some of those are very familiar. I learned at my mother's knee to NEVER throw away or give away a pattern. When Mom died, I got hers. I also have some from my MIL an d grandMIL. I love them. Believe it or not I have sewn from the vintage with no marking patterns. What kills me is that a size 12 from the 50s is about a size 2 now! I buy my jeans in a size 8 but I sew from size 16 and 18 patterns from the 50s and 60s because I am a woman with some curves!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...