A few days ago the urge struck to start digging through some boxes stashed away in one of the Studio cabinets. And look what I found. That's right, another patriotic UFO. After doing some digging on the blog it seems this one was started about 2 years ago. You can find the original post here.
It's my variation of the quilt pattern "Patriotic Rose" by Janet Miller.
A few changes will make it my own. I drafted the pattern in EQ7, but I'm sure you can find it by doing a google search if you'd like to make one.
The original plan was for hand applique. BAHAHA! Change of plans.... In the picture above all the flowers have been turned edge, hand stitched except for the outer pink ring. As you can see in the picture below I've started the raw edge machine applique on the stars. Good thing the quilt police don't visit my blog because I'm breaking the unspoken quilty rule of only one type of applique per quilt.
Now I bet your wondering why my star points are square. In the picture below you can see the hand appliqued stars on the blue fabric. Making perfect points was impossible for me, so they look kinda blunt. I wanted my raw edge stars to look as close to the hand applique as possible, so off with there tips! This will also keep the tips from fraying when stitched. And hopefully the different method of applique won't be as noticeable.
~ Lea Anne ~