Wednesday, February 20, 2019

~ Imitating Hand Embroidery ~

This week I'll be participating in a blog hop called Dust Off a Quilt Book blog hop.  Tomorrow will be my day to share my book and project.  Today I'd like to share with you a few tips I used while making my project.  The project I chose called for hand stitched embroidery.  I love handwork, especially when I'm not the one doing it.  Not to mention my sewing machine does a much better job of keeping the stitches uniform.  That's why we pay those outrageous prices for machines with a gazillion different stitches.  This is a good time to put them to use.  The first thing to do is find a thread in my stash that matches my project.  Aurifil 1114 50 wt. for both top and bottom will be perfect.

The pattern calls for an outline stitch.  An outline stitch looks like a rope.


My machine doesn't have that one so I chose the triple stretch stitch on my machine.  Doing a test of the stitches before starting is a good idea.  Ascrap piece of stabilizer and fabric to was used mimic the exact sewing conditions.  Adjusting the stitch length, width and tension until I was satisfied with the look of the stitch.   Labeling each adjustment just in case the power goes out or any other of million things that could go wrong.  The check mark indicates the settings for this project.  Even with the triple stitch the stitches are too thin.  Easy solution is to stitch it twice, side by side.


Here's a sneak peak at the finished stitch.  Doubling up on the stitching gave it a somewhat hand stitched look.  It looks more like a hand embroidered back stitch, so in my book it's a winner!


Next I had to stitch the SUPER tiny applique pieces in place.  They are so small I considered not stitching them down.  I also considered using an invisible thread but my machine doesn't like it very much which means it would take longer to deal with the issues.  After bouncing around a few ideas I decided to finish the edge of the applique with Superior Threads, MicroQuilter, 100 wt., 7002.  Microquilter is my go to thread for quilting my quilts.  I love this thread!   It's light weight, strong and blends well with just about all fabric.


Again the stitches were tested on a piece of scrap.  Another good use for those tiny pieces of fabric, stabilizer and fusible webbing, that some would toss in the trash.


The video below shows the stitching around the applique with a few tips.  Notice how the Microquilter thread doesn't overwhelm the applique but still adds a finished edge.


Make sure you come back tomorrow to see the completed project.  It's a cutie!  Until then please take the time to show your quilty love by visiting the following blogs participating in the Dust Off a Quilt Book Blog Hop.  I'm only listing today's bloggers you can find the full list over at BeaQuilter.

Wednesday Feb 20th
Sharon at Vrooman’s quilts
Suzy at Websterquilt
Nancy at patchworkbreeze
Karrin at karrinscrazyworld
Denise at craftraditions







#rawedgequiltapplique #superiorthread #aurifilthread #quilttips

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I have that stitch on my machine too! looking forward to your finished embroidery work :) I did hop over and check out the other blog pages...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lea Anne, Beautiful! Did you do the applique stitches through all three layers? Just through the batting and top?
    Thanks for showing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of stitches on my machine...been toying with them too...I'm glad you mentioned the type of thread you really using...can't wait to see yr project!!!thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...