Sunday, February 17, 2019

~ Waiting For Spring ~

To keep the winter blahs at bay sometimes you just need to pull out a pretty piece of fabric.   The fabric below is my favorite Lakehouse Drygood  print.  It just doesn't get any better.  Oh what I wouldn't give for an entire bolt.  But this little piece is just enough for a little pick me up or inspiration.


After a spending a little time admiring the glorious colors in this fabric I needed to get outside and look for signs of spring.  Spring weather is still a few weeks away so I bundle up and put on my mud boots.
  

As I started my journey around the property Mr. Podunk was in the backyard giving the Fluffy Butt girls their daily treat of sunflower seeds.  So I invited him to join me on the walk.  As we walked we talked of all that needed to be done in the next few weeks to prepare for spring.


The Veggie garden needs some fence and raised bed maintenance.  We need to start treating the soil to drive out the pesky moles that have moved in over the winter.  As soon as the ground thaws out I'll add some castor oil and dish soap to their humble abodes.  That should get them packing!


I've not found one sign of spring.  No green peeking through the decaying leaves.  No hints of new growth on any of the fruit trees.  Winter isn't done with us yet.  The saying in Indiana is "Winter isn't over until after the Basketball Sectionals".  When are they?  I have no idea.  But I'm pretty sure it'll be in the Spring!...HA!


Our pond still has a thin layer of ice on one end and by the looks of the weather report it could freeze  over again this week.  As I stood here looking at the reflection on the pond I was reminded that even in the dead of winter there is beauty for you to find all you need to do is look for it.  It may not be the bright happy colors of my studio but it has a beauty all it's own.


We moved onto the wild blackberry and raspberry patch.  It doesn't look like much now but it'll soon be in full bloom.  Before they start blooming we need to get in here and make some new paths for berry picking. 


It wasn't a colorful walk around the property but we enjoyed the moment and made plans for warmer days.  I'm sure time will fly by as  we work on our new list of to do's over the next few weeks.  More than likely it will get here before we are ready.  I'm okay with that!






Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I agree, I can find myself liking what I see in Indiana winters except for the dreary skies. Your property looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very peaceful walk. And no snow...yay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know for sure but i think basketball sectionals are at the beginning of March, at least college because March Madness is toward the middle to end. We got another round of snow over night here in NE ohio and we'll be in the 20s. Spring won't even show up for a visit until the calender turns the page. Your piece of fabric is gorgeous, cant wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK....as a long-ago member of the Marion, IN High School Booster Block, which had 500 members when I was in it......(yes, you read that right—I graduated in 1972 and we had about 3500 students! We were a basketball powerhouse and they refused to build a second high school). Anyhow , Indiana high school basketball playoffs begin in March, and I don’t care if we’ve had the warmest winter on record, we WILL get nasty winter weather sometime during the playoffs...sometimes every weekend. Snow, but sleet/freezing rain are apt to occur. And more times than I care to remember, cold and snow in April, like last year for example. You are far enough south of us that your spring is often beginning 2-3 weeks earlier than ours. I usually go to the Indiana Heritage Quilt Festival in Bloomington the first weekend in March and there are often daffodils and other early flowers in full bloom. Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was an enjoyable walk around your property! My husband has ALWAYS wanted to be a farmer (he grew up on a farm) but ended up in the building industry. We finally got ourselves a house with a little bit of land and he has grand plans for a mini orchard and maybe tree farm with some exotic fruits and vegetables thrown in for good measure. He went crazy and planted 50 tomato plants last year and we could NOT keep up with them. And could hardly give them away fast enough. All that to say, we love the country life. I hope I'll be able to show a "walk around the property" like you did someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your term for the chickens, The Fluffy Butt Girls! Had to share with my hubby!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...