Monday, September 14, 2026

Mini Quilt Blocks Playtime And WIP's

Every now and then I get a hankering for a little fabric playtime.  After a couple of weeks of arguing with myself I finally caved, dug through the scrap bins and made a couple mini blocks.  The first was this adorable scrappy mini Churn Dash block.  The inspiration was found on Pinterest and much to my surprise it had a link to a blog post tutorial.  I found an error/typo in the tutorial but could not report it because the blog has been abandoned.  So if you want to make this block the center square is cut at 2.5".  I used (4) 1" squares for the each side of the churn dash and the green polka dot is 1" x 2.5", the HST's in the corners are 1.5".


While digging through the scraps to make Churn Dash I decided to pull out enough scraps to make a 4" mini dresden using Suzn Quilts Mini Dresden template.  Dresden's are popular again, so I'm seeing them all over social media. It's my favorite block to make, they are so happy and cute no matter what size or color pallet a quilter chooses.


There’s no plan for either one of these blocks. I just needed a little scrappy playtime. Sometimes you just have to dig into the scraps and make something fun, with no plan and no pressure. 


Now it’s back to the design wall to get the Cake Stand quilt top together. All of the set-in triangle units are finished, so I should be able to get this girl into a quilt top in the next couple of weeks.

The first three rows in the upper-left corner have already been sewn together, and seeing those rows come together is so exciting! I’m finally getting close to having a finished quilt top. I can almost see the finish line!


I made a little progress on the yellow yo -yo's for the Yo - Yo coverlet.  34 completed and all the circles have the seem allowances pressed.  Someone asked recently if I'm using a Yo - Yo maker.  I am not.  I'm cutting the circles using a 5" longarm quilting ruler then using Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Circle templates to iron the seams under.  The running stitch around the circle is free hand stitching.

My plan to get this quilt off the frame was a total bust. I didn’t even touch the quilter all week. 

Maybe this week… maybe. 





 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Blogger has decided to make all comments on my blog no reply comments. When this issue is fixed, I will respond to comments via email whenever possible. Until then, if you have a question, please feel free to email me at podunkpretties@gmail.com

Happy Stitching! Lea Anne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...