Every now and then I get a hankering for a little fabric playtime. After a couple of weeks of arguing with myself I finally caved, dug through the scrap bins and made a couple mini blocks. The first was this adorable scrappy mini Churn Dash block. The inspiration was found on Pinterest and much to my surprise it had a link to a blog post tutorial. I found an error/typo in the tutorial but could not report it because the blog has been abandoned. So if you want to make this block the center square is cut at 2.5". I used (4) 1" squares for the each side of the churn dash and the green polka dot is 1" x 2.5", the HST's in the corners are 1.5".
While digging through the scraps to make Churn Dash I decided to pull out enough scraps to make a 4" mini dresden using Suzn Quilts Mini Dresden template. Dresden's are popular again, so I'm seeing them all over social media. It's my favorite block to make, they are so happy and cute no matter what size or color pallet a quilter chooses.
There’s no plan for either one of these blocks. I just needed a little scrappy playtime. Sometimes you just have to dig into the scraps and make something fun, with no plan and no pressure.
Now it’s back to the design wall to get the Cake Stand quilt top together. All of the set-in triangle units are finished, so I should be able to get this girl into a quilt top in the next couple of weeks.
The first three rows in the upper-left corner have already been sewn together, and seeing those rows come together is so exciting! I’m finally getting close to having a finished quilt top. I can almost see the finish line!
I made a little progress on the yellow yo -yo's for the Yo - Yo coverlet. 34 completed and all the circles have the seem allowances pressed. Someone asked recently if I'm using a Yo - Yo maker. I am not. I'm cutting the circles using a 5" longarm quilting ruler then using Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Circle templates to iron the seams under. The running stitch around the circle is free hand stitching.
My plan to get this quilt off the frame was a total bust. I didn’t even touch the quilter all week.
Maybe this week… maybe.
Pin It







I never comment--but I love your blog. You are very inspiring
ReplyDeleteDorothy in W WA
I believe one of your cake stand blocks has it's "stand" sewn backwards, 4 down from the middle of the unsewn part, the light blue hsts are faced downwards.
ReplyDeleteThere's more than one block with the HST's going in the wrong direction😂 I decided a few weeks ago to leave them to give future owners of this quilt something to ponder on......?did the maker know the blocks were wrong? You can read about the mistake blocks at the following link. https://podunkpretties.blogspot.com/2026/07/more-cake-stand-blocks.html
DeleteI love that attitude. The whole is more than the sum of its blocks and those irregularities that emerge only on closest inspection add a little something, IMO. Like the mark of the maker, signs that it was handmade and not mass produced. Antique quilts are always sprinkled with the seasoning of a misturned block or a close-but-not-quite fabric substitution.
DeleteI adore your cake stands! You are getting so close now!
ReplyDeleteThose mini blocks are really cute. Sometimes it just fun to play with the scraps. The basket quilt is coming along. Lots of rows, but it will eventually get done.
ReplyDelete