Thursday, October 23, 2014

Picking out embedded threads tutorial

I clip, check and recheck and still these stray little frays happen.  And of course they're never seen until it's too late.   I've shown this method of picking out embedded threads before but thought it was a good tip to show again.
No need crying over spilled milk if you have one these handy little tools.  It's not a tool used often but I'm sure glad I have it when I need it.  
Soft Touch Thread Pic is a lifesaver if your like me and worry about the occasionally embedded fray showing through on a finished quilt.
Insert the fine tip close to the stray thread or fray.  There's no fear of it ripping or damaging the fabric, it's super tiny hook slides right between the weave of the fabric.  The trick is to go slowly with the hook facing you when inserting, being careful not to grab the batting.  Ideally keeping the hook in the space between the top fabric and the batting and when you get to the thread push the batting down out of the way and grab the thread.
 I wasn't so lucky this time.  There's a small amount of batting in my hook so I removed the hook leaving just a small portion of the thread exposed. 
 Grab the thread and pull it out.  Super simple!  Clipping the thread and the small little poof of batting.
 A quick little rub with the finger and the fabric weave distortion is fixed.
All that's left to do is soak this quilt in cold water to get rid of the water soluble blue quilting marks.  I'm so excited to finally have this one finished.  I think it's my new favorite.  See you tomorrow for the big reveal.

~ Lea Anne ~

Today's freebie from Samelia's Mum


Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I love this! Thanks for sharing the tool. I'm really going to have to go find one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Thank you so much for sharing. I am going to have to try and find some of those.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a new tool for me. I've used a small crochet hook for similar situations but no way could it get to those small threads. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen that tool before! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see your finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is totally on my list to get! Thanks so much for showing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a new tool to me and seems to be just what all quilters need

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is new to me too. Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...