Friday, October 24, 2014

Promenading Tulips Finished!

Come on in and join me in a rug cuttin happy dance!  It's so exciting to finally have this finished.  The idea for the quilt started well over a year ago.  The tulips are from Lori Holt's book Quilty Fun.  However I started this quilt before her book was published.  She originally gave the pattern on her blog for free during a row along.  So I saved it.  Of course I bought her book anyway with the intentions of making one of her patterns.  But you know me...I can't stick to a pattern.  In the book it calls for one tulip as a block.   Using 4 tulips and some math I came up with the Promenading Tulips block.
(not my tree, its Charles front yard)
When I get an idea for a quilt it's just that...an idea.  The details are always changing and morphing.   You can read more about how I came up with the different elements of this quilt here and here.
 Planning the quilting is another hurdle.  The same technique is used in this process which means I do the quilt stare and keep my eyes open when surfing the web.  With the inner scalloped border I knew I wanted the quilting to be dense enough to make the 3D effect really stand up, but I didn't want a quilt that was a stiff as board with that quilted to death feel.  Finding that balance somewhere in the middle.  The decision was made to leave some "poofy" areas towards the center of the quilt.
 Now I bet you all are wondering about this truck.  Ain't she a beauty!  There's a story behind her too.  A few months ago I was on my way to momma's, of course I always take the long way, winding through the country roads and enjoying the scenery.   My meandering takes me through a small town of Providence.  It's one of those 4 way stop towns with a church and a few houses.  Well I spot this truck (not for sale at the time), how could you not see the bright yellow paint and orange wheel rims.  I told myself should I ever drive by and see the owner outside I'd stop and ask permission to use his truck as a quilt prop.  Well low and behold about a month later Charles and his wife were standing there just waiting on me!  I whipped my ole hunk of junk up in the drive and introduced myself.  You never know if people are going to welcome you or not when it comes to country folk, some live out here because they don't like people.  But Charles and his wife were the good kind of country folk, telling me to feel free to use the old truck whenever I wanted.  They've recently put it up for sale, and I'd love to take it home but....all I can do is wish and dream.  Thanks Charles for letting me drool all over your girl!
 Okay let's get back to the quilt.
 You've gotta have crosshatching and feathers in every quilt, right?  I love the traditional look from the simple crosshatched blocks.   The yo-yo placement was marked with blue water soluble pen before quilting.   After the quilt was quilted the yo-yo's were stitched in place with a few tack stitches.  I wanted to the the 3D effect on those also.
POST EDIT on 11-6-2015
The border technique used for this quilt is from the book
"Just Around the Corner, by Kari Carr".  If your looking for the Inner Scallop border tutorial on my blog, I've removed it, you can read more about it here.
The backing is vintage baby prints from my stash.  Might as well make the whole quilt scrappy!
Thanks for stopping by and dancing with me today!

This post has been edited on 5/13/2015 due the huge response in the last couple of weeks.  If you would like more information about making your own Promenading Tulips quilt click here.

~ Lea Anne ~

today's freebie from Lori Holt of Beeinmybonnet

Pin It

60 comments:

  1. Очень красиво! Много труда, но и результат превосходный.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is absolutely stunning!!!! I am drooling. You should definitely send a photo to Lori Holt. The truck makes a perfect photo prop. Your photos look so professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is sensational...truly award-winning. And the pics with the yellow quilt are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt turned out gorgeous! I love the yellow truck too. I've been wanting a yellow car for years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow this is one gorgeous quilt! It is just beautiful... the design, the fabrics, the quilting... beautiful. And how fun was it to photograph it on that great truck! Great backdrop for an amazing quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this quilt! Been following you as you progressed with it and was anxiously awaiting its completion. It is gorgeous. I want one just like it......not gonna happen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's absolutely beautiful! I think your quilting is perfect. Glad you at least have some photos of the yellow truck even if you can't take it home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out beautiful! Love what you did with those tulips and all those bright colors, great background too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are one talented Lady. I really like the quilt and the quilting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a great finish! Your planning really shows in the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beyouuuuutiful!!! OH I love everything about this one! Tulips are my favorite flower and you have done a stunning job on the quilting on this. I'm envious of the yellow truck backdrop - I have a thing for vintage trucks... and yellow! Would love to take it home but no room - oh well - I certainly am enjoying your quilt! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every single time I look at your blog I am amazed. I absolutely love this quilt!!! It is fantastic. And I recognized the truck immediately from your earlier post. So glad they let you use it because it is perfect for this quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! Fabulous! I just LOVE it! WTG with the best finish ever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is wonderful from top to bottom, Lea Anne. I love your design, the colours and fabrics, and of course, your gorgeous quilting. Congratulations on another beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the quilt - tulips have that look of the Scandanavian barn decorations. Fun truck story, too. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it. I can't stop drooling over it!

    How lucky you were, to happen upon such a cool truck. I drove for miles today, trying to find a fabulous place to photograph my quilts. Ended up doing a fence shot. Sigh. Again. So boring! The truck is fabulous, but that quilt of yours steals the show!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's lovely. Lovely! I'm glad there are lots of pictures,it's like being there. I want to reach out and touch that beautiful quilting. Three gingham edging is perfect, especially with the added yo yos. Outstanding. Yep,the yellow truck is a great Kodak moment with your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is a quilt and a half so wonderful, the way you have done the tulips works a treat love evryting about it I am in awe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Quilt and quilting are both beautiful. Your creativity is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful quilt, in every aspect. Love your photographs too, they really show case the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your finish -- your quilt is gorgeous!! I love your use of such bright, happy colors and how you have a great eye for settings to show off your quilts. Thank you for sharing your work and keep the posts coming! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely finish! This is a bright and happy quilt...the colours, the design, the borders, the quilting and the yoyos! The truck is a perfect backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a sweet quilt. The red gingham check sets off the border. Charles yellow truck is the perfect backdrop to show off this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love this...the colors, pattern, stitching, extra touches such as the yo-yo's and the way the tulips are all puffy!

    And then throwing the truck story in for fun! What a photo prop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous quilt. Congratulations on a wonderful and cheery coloured finish.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your quilt is just FAB. U. LOUS. And that truck is the perfect background. I'd love to have it sitting in my driveway. :) Congratulations on a fantastic finish. It has been fun to watch your journey. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The quilting adds to the design of the quilt. It does not overwhelm but is a beautiful complement to the blocks. Nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my gosh... that is incredible! I love all the special touches on your quilt, and the quilting really adds so much interest and texture. The colours are yum and the photos are amazing... now I am drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I don't have the words to say how much I love this quilt. It is truly splendid...The scalloped border effect is especially wonderful. Can you steer me to where you shared how to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am still staring. The colors are so amazing. I am in awe of your eye for color. I find that to be a weakness in myself.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a fabulous quilt. I love the colours and drapping it over the yellow truck to photograph was inspired! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my Goodness! What a beautiful quilt and your quilting is amazing on it. Just perfect and the yellow truck set off the quilt beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your quilt is gorgeous. You did a wonderful job adapting and designing this quilt. The quilting on it is beautiful and suits the design.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful quilt; there is so much going on when you look at the details, but the over al effect is restful.

    ReplyDelete
  35. what a gorgeous quilt. I absolutely love the inner scalloped border

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome!!! Love your tulips and the quilting adds up. Congrats with this finish!
    Love from Amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful! I love everything about this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  38. this is just so beautiful words fail me!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Absolutely gorgeous! The scallop look on the border reminds me of the dress the sweet birdies made for Cinderella. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Woohoo! I love everything about his quilt Lea Anne!! Oh my, my she is a beauty! Congratulations on the perfect colors, design, and quilting. You should be very proud. Remind me what machine you quilt with ? Just lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  41. Stunning, gorgeous, lovely, beautiful; there are not enough words to describe your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh my word, that is just beautiful. I love the design, the colours, the quilting, just everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Gorgeous quilt! I love the colors and fabrics that you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love the grid quilting. I am glad you are finishing all these WIPs. I can't wait to see the pics of completed quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love your quilt! Great shots with the truck too and how nice the yellow color just happened to go so nicely with your quilt too! Funny I was just looking at this tulip pattern yesterday because I am going to make a baby quilt and was thinking of doing a row quilt with at least one row of the tulips. I may not do this exact tulip, but will do a row of tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your quilt is beautiful. It makes the old truck look good.

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a beautiful quilt !! Lovely bright colors and fabulous quilting! and the backdrop is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  48. You quilting is exquisite! How do you do that scalloped border trim? The whole quilt is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. The quilt is absolutely gorgeous!! And the truck makes a great display piece!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Totally in love with your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Totally in love with your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  52. love the hint of cathedral quilt on the border

    ReplyDelete
  53. Absolutely gorgeous. You are very gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  54. wow !!! beautiful and so lovely,i really like your good idea so much.Thank for sharing.

    หนังไทย

    ReplyDelete
  55. I tend to do quick piecing and machine quilting, but this quilt is an admonition to take time to make something really beautiful. Thank you so much, and keep quilting and posting - I think you have a real gift regarding design, and your hand quilting is remarkable...

    ReplyDelete
  56. What a beautiful quilt! Is the scallop a flange or a tube that you sewed on top?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...