Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Simply Sweet Table topper and Marti Michell inset triangle ruler review

Last week I made a quilt top using Moda's L'Amour Charm pack.  If you missed it you can read about it here.  Believe it or not I made a lap quilt and had enough scrap 2.5" charms leftover for a small project.  This was a great opportunity for me to try out my new Marti Michell Diagonal Set Triangle Ruler and write a free small quick pattern to share with you.  Don't worry, if you don't have this ruler, the instruction for my Simply Sweet Table topper has directions with or without the ruler.  The link to the pattern will be at the end of this post.


Before starting the ruler review I'd also like to let you know that my background fabric is also quilt border scraps from the Amour de Cerise quilt.  
As most of you know when making a quilt set on point those set in side and corner triangles can be quite tricky.  In the past we needed to cut a huge square  and then cut on the diagonal twice.  Most of the time our standard 6 x 24 ruler was to short and the measurements were odd.
Not anymore!  This ruler is great.  No more counting those 8th's and 16th's marks for that huge awkward square.  Just line up the bottom of your fabric on any line on your cutting mat.  Then on the ruler find the FINISHED size(in quilt) of your block and line it up with the bottom of your fabric.  For this project my finished block will be 6 inches. Carefully line up a straight ruler at the top of the inset ruler using the markings on the cutting mat.


Slide the set in ruler out of the way and cut.  So simple!


To cut your side set in triangles  place the ruler back on the strip and cut.


Making the corner triangles is just as easy.  From the same strip of fabric line up your ruler on the block size you need at the bottom and then line up the edge with the vertical line that is off center.


Trim away the corners on all pieces, it makes piecing them so much easier.


Look how lovely they line up!  No wings to clip and its perfectly centered.  I love this ruler!  It's not one that I'll use everyday but it's one that when I need it I'm glad I have it.  Well worth the money spent.  The best thing is I can use smaller pieces of scraps instead of needing yardage.


The free pattern for my Simply Sweet table topper can be found here.  The instruction are with and without this ruler.  Enjoy!


~ Lea Anne ~

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Nice review of using Marti's Diagonal Set Ruler!! I agree that it's a great tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful little quilt Lea and a great review! Okay......now I really need this ruler! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review of the ruler. I really love the quilting on the table topper. Simple but it really makes the nine patches pop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if I have that, got a bunch, need to check

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty table topper, Lea Anne! Thanks so much for sharing about that ruler. I didn't know it existed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ruler but after looking at your instructions for making it without the ruler, I find those much easier to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty table topper. Cool ruler. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i see now that its not, this says tri tool and looks thiner

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...