Monday, January 26, 2015

Design OH NO!

Hi-didly-O Quity friends!  It's so nice of you to stop by today for a peak at my design mistake.  Oh it's not too terribly awful, just poor planning that will mean extra sewing.  It'll give me extra practice on that perfect quarter inch seam.
 Can you see the design flaw in the picture below?


 I know its hard to see.  If your like me your to busy looking at the Miss Kate prints and could really care less about my design blunder.  Can't say that I blame you.  So lets wipe the Miss Kate drool from our chins and really look at this top.  It's a simple plan of petals and squares that make a chain pattern.  Okay... because I want the points of the petals to line up perfectly with the 4 patches I'm adding them after the blocks are sewn together and will machine stitch them to the background.  See that red X? (Pretend the next row is attached).  That's where I would draw a line to line up the petal applique. So tell me why did I even cut the blocks and sashing?  I could have cut one long piece of fabric(the red box).  Slap in the forehead moment.  Of course this only occurred to me after cutting all the blocks and sashing. 


Maybe I can work those sashing seams into the quilting design.


Oh well, I still love the overall look of the quilt.  
Playing with the Miss Kate fabrics are the best part!


I'm linking up with Judy@Patchworktimes for design wall Monday and
Hugabit for Monday Makers.
Hop on over for inspirations!

~ Lea Anne ~
Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Sometimes I do wonder how our brains work, but then we come up with awesome ideas in other areas. Afterall.. you designed this beauty! Love the design, fabrics... it is going to be another gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful design. Well worth a tiny bit of extra sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that's your worst design mistake then you are doing great! I can't wait to see your beautiful quilting on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Live and learn, but it is not a detectable error, just a Wish I had thought of that first kind of thing. Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking I am dumber than a fence post - because I had no idea what you where talking about and I couldn't see anything wrong - but I finally had a light bulb moment - Yes it would have made less work but look how precise it came out - I think it will be worth it in the end - you really do lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think it's a design flaw at all! I think it might have been tougher to line up your appliqué pieces on one long strip. Things probably ended up more precise the way you did it. Isn't it funny how you can not see a fabric line once and then it seems to pop up wherever you go? I just finished a Charm Pack Cherry with Miss Kate fabrics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty, there certainly are a lot of petals to sew on. It will be great when you finish it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it may have been less work to make the solid strip, BUT, I think it keeps the quilt balanced with the 'sashing' in every row! Gonna be a "cutie" of a quilt when done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the design! It flows beautifully. And oh those fabrics..:) Thank you for linking up with me at Hug-a-bit Quilts for Monday Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of ways to get from a to be!!! Love the quilt!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the design and think the way you pieced it ... you will be happy when it is quilted that you did do it that way instead of long strips of fabric. In the end the only person you need to please is yourself though... this is your creation! It also let you accurately place your orange peel pieces to let the quilt speak as a quilt... just my humble opinion.. Thanks for blogging about it! And sharing the eye candy too! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it looks great and in the end, once it's quilted, you'll be able to say you meant to do it that way and it's not a mistake at all! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  13. This quilt has a real sweetness about it. It would have been a lot more difficult to put everything in place if you hadn't done what you did, I think. You're right, the fabrics are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute! I've got a very similar patter in my ToDo pile with the same fabrics! http://heathermantz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL... I can see why that snuck past you Lea Anne.... it would have for me too! It's a very pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally didn't see it at first. But I'm sure the end result will be well worth all the extra effort!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't see it either. I hate those "ah-ha" moments that happen after it's too late to do anything about it. But the quilt still looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...