Friday, January 27, 2023

Four Lone Star Quilts Finished ~ UFO Quilt #4 2023

 I'm so excited to finally share this quilt with you.  It is one of four Lone Star quilts I made last year.  When I say last year I mean from Thanksgiving 2022 to December 24, 2022.  The quilt you see below is the first quilt top made.  Over the years I've made several Lone Stars and learned a lot of tricks but you know how it is, you can know all the tricks and things can still go bad.  That's exactly what happened with this one.  It was so bad I told my husband that I was going to throw it in the trash.  He begged me to quilt it up for him.  What you can't see now that it is finished is the star leans to the right. I've never had that happen.  The center has a slight hump/mountain or fullness.  With all its issues I somehow managed to make a perfectly square 90 x 90 quilt.  But oh boy she was a real booger to quilt without puckers.


All four of the quilts were exactly the same except for the red borders.  The bright red and dark red borders looked the best so I decided to make two of each.  


At this point your probably wondering why I made four quilts exactly the same.  It's easier to cut all the quilts at the same time if they are identical.   As you all know my 29 year old son died in an accident on October 2, 20222.  Quilting is my therapy through all of life's up and downs .  When we all came together on Thanksgiving it was hard not seeing my baby at the other end of the table with his wife.  She sat there alone with tearful eyes trying her best to hold them back.  We all would take moments away from the group to deal with our emotions, regroup ourselves and try to be happy.  It's hard to put into words how our family dynamic was impacted by his death.  


Well all I could do is do what I do best, quilt.  Over the years I've made a couple Lone Stars for people who have lost a family member.  One for my dad when my brother died and one for my oldest sons Mother in Law when her husband died.  My heart and soul goes into these quilts.  They are not easy to make due to all the bias edges.  I like to use colors that make a bold and beautiful statement.  I want this quilt to be able to hug the recipient when I can't be there to comfort them.  For this quilt the black represents our loss and the colorful star represents my son Trever.  He was a bright spot in all our lives.  He was a very giving person, annoyingly smart and would let you know the facts on any given subject. But he was also quick witted and loved to make us all laugh even when he was being annoyingly smart.


The four quilts went to my daughter and her husband, my oldest son and his wife, my son's widow and my husband.  I plan to make one more but I can't tell you who it's for until it is delivered. I'm not sure if they read my blog.   It too will be identical to these. 

This last Lone Star quilt will be considered a UFO quilt of 2023 because I started it in 2022 but finished it in 2023.  
Below is Mr. Podunk peaking out from behind his new, fresh out of the dryer, very loved quilt.  What you can't see is his big cheesy grin.  He deserves all the quilts he wants.  Without him none of what I do would be possible.  Thank you Mr. Podunk for supporting me and my craziness.


Until next time...

I hope you find time to stitch up something sweet!


Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I can't see the problems but the quilts are beautiful! What a lovely remembrance of your son. Your DIL will feel the love you quilted into this quilt every time she wraps herself in it and cries. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredibly wonderful way to remember your son and one that everyone can share. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilts are beautiful! I am so sorry for your family's loss and cannot begin to imagine how you and your family are feeling/dealing with the immense grief. (it's good to have you back blogging- I've missed you:) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've missed you too, Lea Anne. My heart goes out to you and your family. Your Lone Star quilts are stunning, and I am sure the finished quilts will be a blessing to your loved ones just as the making of them was therapeutic for you. Good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your immense loss! This Christmas marked the 5th anniversary of the death of our youngest son. I didn't cry this year because I have grieved so hard for years before. Because of my deep religious beliefs, I truly know our Robert is in a happy place. I have cried buckets of tears before, but I am mostly done now. Naturally, we will always miss him. I found out that serving others was the best way to become happy again. I am so proud of you for making your beautiful quilts to bless your family members and others. Grief is such a hard place but it must be done or else it lasts forever. Ugly truth! My thoughts and prayers go out to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilts are beautiful. Even though I have quilted for over 20 years, I've never attempted to make a Lone Star. Bias edges and me don't get along. I understand you loss, no parent or grandparent should loose a child. We lost our oldest grandson (22) in a car accident on Christmas Day 2013. Our daughter still can't celebrate Christmas at her house. I made her a quilt with angel wings made out of all the white/lights of grunge fabric, then appliqued his name and his birthday and passing date underneath. Grief is forever, but as time passes it doesn't show it's self so much in public. May your quilting give you the peace you need. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Lone Star doesn't look like you had problems - it's totally gorgeous and you did the quilting perfectly. Everyone should be so pleased with them. I can't believe you made that many in such a short period of time. I'm sure your devastation after your son's death can't be measured. Many thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lea Anne...so beautiful!! I'm so sorry for you and family's loss of yr son. Grief is a hard emotion to go through....you are like me...quilting is my passion and therapy. It helps me so much w my health issues. Prayers for you and family dear. I'm so glad you are back doing what u love. Trevor w want you to move on and do what you love. He w never be forgotten. Trevor w live on in yr memories and hearts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...