Monday, January 9, 2023

Autumn Stars ~ UFO Quilt #2 2023

 One of the best things about finishing UFO's is the  memories put into to each quilt.  With this quilt I was at a loss for what inspired this odd for me colorway.  A quick search for the quilt on my blog and I found the inspiration was a trip to the mailbox on a beautiful fall day while wearing a flannel shirt.  What can I say...I'm an odd critter and never know what will inspire my quilty brain.  You can find the original post here.  And then here as a forgotten UFO.


 I do remember thinking about adding applique to the bottom of this one.  Just because even the smallest amount of applique on a quilt adds a lot of WOW.  But....sometimes the thought of WOW is over powered by my laziness.  Obviously that was the case with this quilt.  But if you want to see what I drew up in EQ it too can be found in the posts linked above.


As with most of my quilts this is a mishmash of fabrics.  The vintage orange calico is my all time favorite orange fabric in my stash.  They just don't make them like this anymore.  I would guess it dates to the 60's or 70's.  The navy blue is also an older fabric from the 80's or 90's.  Not quite vintage but it's getting close.  All three of the different green prints in this quilt are about 8 or 9 years old and are Walmart fabrics.  The white is more than likely a Kona from Joann's or Hancock Fabrics.


The simple traditional pattern appeals to old school country girl in me.  You just can't beat a traditional quilt with tons of white space.  Even when quilt styles go all color I tend to stay with plain ole white for the background.  The white space generally makes me want to add tons of quilting and feathers but on this one I decided to keep it simple for the simple reason of time.  If I quilt to death every quilt I'll never get all these UFO's finished.


The gingham backing is a Moda print...Bonnie and Camille...I think.  What I do know is no quilt is complete unless it has gingham in it somewhere.  Gingham is the best print ever.  I CAN remember being very little and loving gingham.  And then my Aunt Linnie had a red kitchen back in the late 70's early 80's.  The countertops were bright red and red gingham curtains.  She also had a large print green gingham couch.  I knew someday I would have a red gingham couch.  Well that hasn't happened yet but there's still time.  


The label isn't the prettiest...again keeping it simple.  To be honest I almost forgot the label.  To me the best label is put on the backing before it's quilted.  It can never be removed if it's part of the backing and gets quilted.  Well, it can be removed but the quilting would need to be taken out.  



With the permission of Racheal from the Quilted Twins quilt shop I'm sharing a FREE pattern from their website.  This quilt shop in Florida has a wide variety of fabrics at great prices.  They also do two Facebook Lives every week where they show fabrics for sale, most as low as $6.99 a yard!  Racheal has also put together many 1/2 yd. bundles at very reasonable prices.  The prices will be hard to beat.


Today's pattern and every pattern on their website is designed by Becky, Rachael's twin.  Becky has a scrappy quilty style I love.  This one is called Autumn Majesty.  You can find this pattern by clicking here.  And there's many more fabulous scrappy patterns just click here to see them all.



Until next time...

I hope you find time to stitch up something sweet!


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Your quilt is lovely, it looks springy to me with all the green. The simple quilting is perfect, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that you're back. It's always fine to prioritize your quilting, your life. Glad, too, that the blog will continue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quilted twins is a great place to shop and great prices. Been shopping w them about 5 yrs...love Becky's patterns too. FREE at that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...