Monday, September 1, 2014

DWM - Making my own plexi template

 Last weeks DW blunder has been fixed.  Well as much as it's going to be fixed.  The center daisy will be the oddball.  The design plan was for all the blocks to look like the center one but due to my lack of paying attention to detail... the plan changed.  I'm not complaining, that's just part of my designing process.  Starting with a idea, then building upon it.  Okay so that's a line of bull, but it sounded good.  It's really me being stubborn and not wanting to take apart another block and not wanting to add more UH-OH units to the collection I already have.  
If you've been following me for awhile you know that I'm a huge fan of white backgrounds.  While putting the blocks on the wall it struck me that there's a lot of white space.  Great for showing off quilting, but it just didn't set right with me this time.  My first thought was to trim away some of the block.  That would mean adding more to the scrap bin, so that option was quickly tossed aside.  Option B was to add more color, thus using up some scraps.  After tossing around a few ideas for a day or two I decided more dresdens.  Small 5" dresdens.  My dresden ruler doesn't go that small.   What I wanted was a dresden blade that had just enough room to press the quarter inch to the middle.  The store bought ruler I have only goes to 1/2".   So I searched the internet for a free template with no luck.  With a little help from EQ7 I printed a template, glued it to a piece of plexiglass, scored it, snapped it, and sanded the rough spots.  TA DA!    Now cutting the small pieces will go so much faster.  Did you see the little dresdens in the picture above?   
Just a quick question for bloggers.  I've been tagged for the Blog Hop Around the World.  I need to tag 3 more bloggers to join in the hop.  My search for bloggers has hit a brick wall.  Would you like to be tagged?  This just means writing a blog post.  The hop is basically a way to meet new to you bloggers or find out more info on your favorite bloggers.  If you like to join in the fun leave me a comment on this post and I'll send you the blog hop information.

Linking up!
And
and
click here


~ Lea Anne ~

FREEBIE 
Pin It

21 comments:

  1. Mini dresdens are going to be PERFECT in your quilt. This one just sings! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making your own template is so clever. Love the little pop of color the extra plates add to your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilt with all the scrappy Dresdens!! Good for you to use EQ in a great way. I often use it to make paper piecing papers for those units that I can never make to size...like the triangle in a square with the sharp points! Whenever I see one in a pattern, I immediately go to p-piecing them. Looking forward to seeing more of that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how this is looking and the mini's are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...you are so smart! And ambitious. What does "DW" mean? And, good luck finding bloggers who want to talk about themselves...I don't get it. Why have a blog if you don't want to share your life? Hope you're enjoying the holiday! I have to write 500 words each about wallets for women and school bags. Then I get to write about tropical vacations so that's not so bad. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lea Anne, that's not an oddball, it's the whimsical block! Absolutely Loving this quilt and the mini Dresdens you've made are incredible! WOW! You are a genius! Wish I could volunteer, but good luck finding new hoppers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so very clever! Love your little baby Dresdens. They will be perfect fillers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your quilt. By adding the mini dresden plates really adds to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm having fun watching the quilt go together. The smaller Dresden plates will break up the background and give you room for some fun and creative quilting. It's going to be a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those flowers - so colourful and fun! I wouldn't have thought of cutting my own plexi templates - I've only ever used card or template plastic (and then got cross if I cut into them by accident!) - great idea! Thanks for sharing!
    If you get COMPLETELY stuck I'd be happy to be tagged for the blog hop - but I'm across the pond and rarely use white backgrounds (!) so you will probably get some better / more logical offers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea. The little Dresdens really work well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the blocks, and your idea about mini-dresdens is just perfect. Sorry I can't take part in the hop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the tiny dresdens work so well, must have been a real fiddle to do, I rather like that the centre flower has both leaves upright, seems that is how it should have been all along. do hope you get someone to tag, sorry i turned you down but not very good at things like that

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful work and those small dresdens are so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your Dresden flowers and would not have noticed the leave it had not been brought out. Your little Dresdens will be cute, but the amount of white is not bothering me at all. (BG) I've seen the blog hop on a few that I follow, I'm game - but then might have trouble tagging 3 others.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just did the same thing with my AMH Feathers quilt. I love the little flowers, guess I would have just trimmed the large ones, I too like white backgrounds as long as the quilt is not for a child

    ReplyDelete
  17. The mini Dresdens work really well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! Your flowers are really beautiful! Took a time to find the difference with the center block. Small dresden suits well there. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  19. Would love to know more about you making your own template. Where do you buy plexiglass? You scored it and snapped it??? Please explain. hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...