Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Quilting Paused for a Minor Surgery

 The progress of the Sugar and Spice quilt is moving along at a pretty good rate. I'm not used to working with a kit so I'm being very careful when cutting the fabrics. Included in the instructions is a cutting warning added by the quilt shop not the quilt designer.  Most of the fabrics in this can not be found anymore.   All of the background fabric is cut and I have about 10" x WOF leftover.  Yah! Adding it to my stash.   


Today I 'll start the strip piecing and subcutting for the chain blocks.  This method of piecing I find to be not so easy.  They can get wonky really easy.   Over the years I've learned tricks to keep the strips accurate but I still think aren't as accurate as one piece at a time.  I too write quilt patterns with this method because most quilters like quick and easy ways of making a quilt top.


The blocks should have already been on the assembly line but me and my girl had a little playtime yesterday.  The weather here has been really cold and snowy.  Little Miss Pris has decided this year she isn't as fond of snow as she used to be.  This means she's spending more time inside and wanting to be entertained.


We got a little carried away.  Now pink piggy is going in for a minor surgery.


This happens often with Khaleesi's stuffed toys.  She's a big girl but loves little girl plush dog toys.  We've purchased more durable toys for her to rag doll and play tug of war with but she has almost no interest in them.  So I do a lot of mending.  Maybe I should start reinforcing them before she gets them.  

The only heavy duty thread I keep on hand is blue jean thread due to the ever famous.....Hey you quilt?  Can you fix my jeans?  I know this makes sense to those who ask me to fix their pants, but you and I know this is an eyeroll moment.  Anyway Pink Piggy might end up looking like a Franken Piggy.


My poor girl.  She's on the couch pouting as I preform the surgery.  From this position she can watch me at my sewing machine in the Studio.


Perhaps hand sewing would be better. It would be easier to see what I was doing but I'm going for speed.  Khaleesi doesn't care what it looks like and neither do I.  The chances of me needing to do the again(multiple times) is pretty good.  I can't see a thing!  The hair on her other toys isn't this long.  I'm flying blind, hope I don't crash!


Huh?  Well would you look at this.  The ugly brown thread doesn't even show.  I'm feeling like a sewing rock star.  


However Khaleesi   is not so impressed with my sewing skills and has taken the pouting to a whole new level.  My goodness she is so spoiled rotten.  Oh well, we love our sweet spoiled rotten girl even if she is a little overly dramatic from time to time.  


Since there has been a lot of response on my Sugar and Spice quilt I thought it would be nice to share a little more detail about this pattern.  The pattern release was way back in 2011 by Black Cat Creations.  Here it is at displayed at Quilt Market.


The pattern says the original quilt was made using Flower Sugar 1 and 2.  Oh how I wish I had known about this quilt and this fabric way back then.  



My kit from the local quilt shop came with this mishmash of fabrics.  Several designers and brands.  But still cute as can be.  At the end of this blog post is a video posted on Facebook by our local shop called Back Door Quilts. It a quick look at part of their shop.


It was not easy finding more information on this quilt.  I lost count of all the different searches phrases.  But I did find this beautiful picture of the quilt done in mostly blue.  Can anyone guess the fabric manufacturer in this quilt?  Clue 1....it made me squeal to see this fabric.  Clue 2...I collect these fabrics.  
LAKEHOUSE DRYGOODS!  
It just doesn't get any better than dresden's and Lakehouse.  My two favorites all rolled into one.  I wish Pam and Holly would design fabric again.  Some try to mimic their fabric but none can seem to get the colors right.


Oh well back to reality.  Finding the designer wasn't very easy either.  I finally found Amy on Instagram.  And wouldn't you know it the last picture she posted was of this quilt.  She's selling it on Etsy.  Not the pattern, THE QUILT!  I'm interested but my budget is not.  So here's a link to her quilt for sale.


The border fabric makes the borders look like a lot of work but its a panel print.  The red and white is one fabric but looks like two.


And that background fabric....I love multi colored dots....sigh....heaven.  

I assumed since she is selling the quilt that the pattern was being retired. I was wrong.  Amy has a website and yes this pattern is still available.  Just click right here to go to both the PDF and mailed pattern.  Let her know Podunk Pretties sent you!  Not it will matter but I'm sure she'll wonder why the sudden interest in this pattern.


Thanks for stopping by my little spot in Podunk!













Moo-ving along the Sugar and Spice quilt.  Moo-ve, word of the year, read more about it here.



My local quilt shops most recent video on Facebook.  Back Door Quilts is known for their project samples and huge selection Civil War Reproductions.  This video covers a small section of the store, but does not show the Civil War Reproduction fabric section.   This is the shop where I purchased the Sugar and Spice quilt kit.  I don't think they carry it anymore but you could ask.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I like your background even better than the original. The quilt will be gorgeous. I remember being fascinated by those yo-yos on the Dresden blocks when I first saw this pattern. Good job on the surgery! I have a similar surgery project to do, but it's a furry little backpack belonging to my granddaughter. About the size of a dog toy and just as furry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doctor Podunk- good job on the surgery! Your pooch is just too cute for words. :) What a sweet face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milo is turning 4 next month and he still plays with one of his fave puppy style stuffies... it's not fun unless you're tearing them up. I got him the indestructible ones and he won't play with them. It's ALL about tearing them apart. I found the ones he likes best have a lot of dangling parts to be torn off!
    Your yoyo quilt is so alluring... I want to make it! I went on a chase today and the pattern is out of print? sad. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually found her website and purchased the pattern yesterday! Looking forward to it's arrival. I usually go for instant gratification and download, but I didn't want to print out the entire thing! I'm glad you are sharing it with your readers. That sweet Khaleesi has to have some playtime! She is just adorable and posed well for the pics! Aren't our fur babies great?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...