Saturday, April 15, 2023

Scrap Buster Baskets ~ UFO Quilt #7 2023 Finished!

 Hello Quilty Friends!  I'm so excited to have another UFO finish!   Scrap Buster Baskets is fairly small, measures about 58 x 64.  I designed and made it back in 2021.


As with all my finished quilt tops she became a UFO because I couldn't come up with a quilting plan and I prefer to design and make quilt tops.


When I pulled her out over a month ago I had a pretty good idea of how I would quilt the blocks.  The sashing and border were the problem.  As a general rule of thumb when doing custom quilting you should use the same quilting designs in the border and quilt body.  Example if you have feather in the border you should add some of the same style feathers somewhere in the body of the quilt.  It makes the look quilt more balanced.


After spending way to much time trying to come up with the perfect plan I gave up.  I don't care if it looks balanced I just wanted it done.


The little scallops in the sashing sorta match the border scallop.  But the feathers, well they don't flow with this quilt at all.  The green plaid border really threw me off when it came to the quilting.  No matter what the quilting design it will get lost in the fabric pattern.  Piano key quilting  was my first thought but plaid is not straight so the piano key quilting wouldn't work.


The little scallops in the sashing was an idea from a Natalia Bonner video.  I thought about doing them on a larger scale in the outer border but it just didn't set right with me for some reason.  


If you are part of the quilt police and trigger easily this is where you might want to leave because I'm going to start talking fabric.  

Most of the prints in this quilt are quilt shop quality.  The background white with red dots is from Joanns.  The red dot used in the inner border and binding is from WalMart and so is that gorgeous quilt back.  It's a Pioneer Woman fabric and I LOVE IT.


And finally the label with a missing comma between designed and made.


Until next time...

I hope you find time to stitch up something sweet!




Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I think the quilting looks perfect and I don't see anything that doesn't blend together. Besides, it's finished and labeled! This is a perfect quilt for spring. Happy stitching on the next UFQ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous quilt! I have enjoyed watching the progress on this quilt from the beginning and your quilting has finished it perfectly. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this beauty, I never worry about matching inside quilting with the border. I use that polka dot fabric from JoAnn's all the time, yes it is kinda thin but I solve that with starch and it works fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this beautiful quilt.! Great quilting.! Finished is always better than perfect - IMHO - and, besides, we would never know what's supposed to match if you didn't share ... BiGrin..

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt and your quilting is just perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's beautiful!! Love the quilt, and the quilting!! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...