Monday, January 8, 2024

Quilt Top Finish

 Hi Quilty Friends!  Just a quick post today to share the denim and flannel quilt top.  It's a big one measuring 92 x 92 and it weighs a ton. It'll be interesting to see how much it weighs after it's quilted and bound.


I'll be using two layers of batting to make this quilt extra warm.   Now I just need to decide what type of batting. I've made a couple of quilts in the past with two layers of batting but it was for the poof and quilting definition.  

What do you think?  An 80/20 and a 100% cotton?  Two layers of cotton?  Wool and cotton?


It'll be a couple weeks or more before starting the quilting.  Right now I need to focus on getting the dresden quilt quilted. 











Pin It

4 comments:

  1. This flimsy is so awesome, love it! I suggest you go with polyester comforter batting since the quilt top is already heavy. Poly will hold it's poof longer than wool or cotton and will also dry faster after washing. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flannel and denim - doesn't it look just fab? Batting...I would think about keeping it lighter and therefore, would use a poly batting. I know, you're thinking about using it as a weighted blanket so that will make a difference. Still need to think about the weight...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flannel and denim how cozy!!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how this turned out! If your goal is warmth and the quilt is already heavy, you can’t go wrong with Quilter’s Dream Wool. My pineapple log cabin quilt top was super heavy due to the narrow strips, nearly the whole thing was 3 layer seam allowances, and I’m glad I used QD wool because it’s so warm without adding too much weight. If you wanted to use a second batting layer along with that, I’d pair it with Hobbs Tuscany 80/20 Cotton/Wool blend batting. That way you’d end up with 40% cotton, 60% wool between the two battings, and neither the Hobbs Tuscany nor the QD wool will beard on you. Just my two cents’ worth! This is Rebecca Grace, BTW — for some reason Wordpress is making me anonymous today.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...