Monday, January 29, 2024

There's Something About Dresden's

Hello Quilty Friends!  Did I ever tell you how much I love the dresden quilt block?  If I could only make one quilt block for the rest of my life it would be the dresden.

No matter how big or small,  they are just too darn cute.  This little dresden measures about 7" across. 


It was made with the EZ Mini Dresden Jelly Roll Ruler.  As you can guess by the name, the template is two inches tall and is meant to be used with a jelly roll.  


I did not use a jelly roll.  I used scraps from an old Bonnie and Camille layer cake and charm pack.


The packaging says it comes with a pattern but it's probably one of the worst patterns I've ever seen.  They didn't even include a circle template for the center.  Not a problem for me but for a newbie quilter it might be.  I used the Karen Buckley Bigger Perfect Circles to make the center of my dresden.


Then added two little hearts using fusible applique made with Heat N Bond Lite.  Normally I would machine stitch the blanket stitch around the applique with Superior Threads Mono Poly thread.  This time I went a little wild and used pink serger thread from Wal-mart.  I'm not sure of the brand.  I love how it turned out.


I loved it so much that I cut a few more blocks.  I'm sewing without a plan.  Just making dresdens for the fun of making them.














Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Your blocks are so colorful and the hearts are so cute! I'm glad to see the template, I'm actually considering making another Dresden quilt someday but definitely not in civil war fabrics and not adding the white piece between the petals. I also used Karen Buckleys perfect circles as a template for the center of my blocks. Just curious, do you cut the background fabric out of the back after appliqueing or leave it in for more stability?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love Dresden plates, too, and yours are adorable! The pink thread for blanket stitching is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...