Thursday, June 13, 2013

Connie's Shirt Quilt

This is my good friend Connie holding her first quilt block ever.  25 of these cute little shirts made from her late husbands clothing.  The project was started over a year ago.  She lost steam on the project after getting custody of her 6 yr old grand daughter.  So I've offered to finish.
The cutting table was empty and ready for a new project.  I've had these blocks and bag of cut up shirts for a few weeks(months) so it's time to get moving!
 Connie chose to have a royal blue and light blue fabric for the borders and sashing.  After playing around with ideas the decision has been made(by me) not to have a sashing.  She gave me the freedom to do as I pleased since I'm a more seasoned quilter, she trusted my judgement.  I think she'll love the change.  The snowball pattern will use up more of the shirtings.  There's enough of the yellow shirtings to make the center of each nine patch block.  Hopefully that will be enough to pull all the fabrics together.  As I sit here and look at the quilt, I'm wondering if pulling the blue into the quilt body would help or pulling the yellow into the border, maybe some shirtings in the border?  Piano key border?
In between cutting shirts I can work on this.  Yeah for mitered borders!  It took about an hour and half to sew those miters...hopefully this process will get easier.   Being that it was new to me, I pinned and repinned, peaked and repinned.  Unless a quilt needs straight borders this will be my standard from now on.  
Until next time "Quilt out of your Comfort Zone!"
Lea




Pin It

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...