Tuesday, October 22, 2024

A Week Of Quilting

 Hi Quilty Friends!  This past week I was busier than a bee in a honeysuckle patch. Flitting about from one quilting project to another.  So, let's do a quick recap of a weeks worth of quilting, starting with a quilt finish.  Mr. Podunk's hunting/camping quilt.  

Since there is nothing fancy or pretty about a flannel and jean quilt, I opted to use up some serger thread for the simple straight-line quilting.


Hunting deer is a fall and winter sport, so this quilt needs to be warm.  Wool batting would be ideal but I'm allergic to wool clothing and assume wool batting would also be an irritant.  So, I added two layers of polycotton batting and a flannel backing from Joann Fabrics.
 

  Finishing at 90x95, it's large enough to be double it up for warmth or he could wrap up in it like a burrito.  Even if it isn't warm he should sleep like a baby under it because it weighs almost 10 pounds.  I think that could be considered a weighted blanket.
  

In between wrestling with Big Ben and normal chores I managed to press the orange fabric scraps for the Bow-Tie quilt.  Some of the oranges are yellow, it's the best I could do without repeating prints.


Over the last few weeks I've been trying to treat my sewing room like the rest of the house.  Clean it as you go that way it's never messy.  For some reason this rule has never applied in here, and I'd get overwhelmed by the mess and clutter.  So, when my back needed a break from standing at the frame and quilting, I took this as an opportunity to work on decluttering my workspace.  These cute little tins beside the sewing table hold bonus HST's to be squared up and triangle cutoffs needing to be made into HST's.


The rule for working with these is I can only use what is in the tins.  The rule is keeps me focused and not going down a rabbit hole of searching for fabrics and possibly making another mess to be cleaned.


The planned worked!  The 30 minutes of playtime gave my back the much needed break and I have a few more HST's to add to the ever-growing HST stash.


The Twinkler quilt blocks were also used as a back rest project.  I sat on the floor to layout the blocks with sashing strips.


By the end of the week and by the time the quilt came off the frame I had made good progress on the quilt top.  I'll keep piecing the top a little at a time as my back needs a break.  The plan for the week is to start cutting the orange Bow-Tie blocks.  This will take a few hours, and my back can only handle about an hour of standing over the cutting table before needing a break.


The last thing little chore I worked into the mix was working on the stash cabinets.  I want to put all my fabrics in the clear plastic Brightroom bins from Target.  The plan is a little at a time.  This week I bought for more bins for the yellow fabrics on the shelf.


The bins were quickly stuffed full of yellow FQ's, half yards and one yard cuts.  Anything larger will go into a larger bin sometime in the future.  The plan is to eventually get rid of the current cabinets and replace them with shelves or cabinets with clear doors so I can see the pretty fabrics without fear of dust.  Been there, done that years ago when I had my stash on shelves unprotected. 


Well, it's time to get moving, there's fabric waiting to be petted and loved!










Pin It

1 comment:

  1. You've been a very busy quilter! I love the denim quilt! Actually polyester batting is better than wool for denim quilts. This quilt will probably be washed a lot and I think polyester holds up better in a quilt that is washed often. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. All comments made come to me as an e-mail. I try to respond to all comments. If you ask a question and do not get an email response, this means I can't respond to you via email due to one of the settings on your device or account. So, I can only answer your question in the comment section with your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...