Thursday, October 3, 2024

Mount Scrapmore

Hello Friends!  I'm happy to report that the scrap sorting is finished.  Well at least for now.  The chances of me needing to do this again are pretty good.  Playing with fabric is a chore that never gets old, unlike doing laundry or washing dishes, UGG.  


I found a few purple and orange fabrics to add to the scrappy Bow-Tie quilt.



The rolling cart has been converted from scrap basket storage to a works in progress station.  I love it!


After washing the fabric baskets, I decided to cut them into scraps.  I'm pretty sure the orange basket is a print I don't have in the scraps for the Bow-Tie quilt.  



Before I could return to my sewing, there was still one task left. I needed to create a small cutting mat out of the light blue one, which would be dedicated to squaring up half-square triangles. As shown below, this isn't the first time I've repurposed an older mat, having previously trimmed it and attached it to the end of my cutting table.


A 6.5" square seems ideal for squaring up half-square triangles. Since I don't recall the previous method used to cut the mat, I attempted to cut it with a small razor knife.


It was not very effective. After approximately ten attempts, it only managed to score the top layer.


The scissors worked but it took a lot of strength.  It was worth the effort.  I could have purchased a small mat, but this one will work just as well and costs nothing. I own a 12x12 rotating mat, but it's too large for small HSTs.  To be honest it was a waste of money.  All small mats are easy to spin, even without the spinning base.


By the early evening the cleanup was complete.  My workspace is once again tidy.  I managed to cut the remaining background fabrics for the Twinkler quilt and prepared a few blocks for assembly.  This morning I'll finish loading the design boards, find something to binge watch and then let the stitching begin.












Pin It

2 comments:

  1. You got a lot done on the reorg front. Enjoy your stitching time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Your Sparkler quilt is going to be a stunner! Have you watched Monsters on Netflix? I came across it yesterday looking for background noise, but its really good (minus all the f words!). I watch a lot of Brit Box detective shows when I sew...way less agenda threaded into British shows which I'm weary of! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. All comments made come to me as an e-mail. I try to respond to all comments. If you ask a question and do not get an email response, this means I can't respond to you via email due to one of the settings on your device or account. So, I can only answer your question in the comment section with your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...