Monday, September 22, 2014

A little applique can make a big difference

Just a little peak at a new project using Miss Kate by Bonnie and Camille.  
This new project was inspired by my Jelly Bean Twist quilt.  You can read more about it here.  I love how adding simple applique can really dress up a plain Jane quilt pattern.  And using fusible raw edge applique can make the applique process so much faster!
My favorite quilt using this idea was my Summer Romance.  A simple charm quilt with hand appliqued center, quilted by me.  Simple quilts can also be dressed up with the quilting.   Click here to see the original post on my Summer Romance quilt.
The first quilt I made using this idea of making a boring quilt stand out was 
Spinning Through the Garden.  Another one of my favorite quilts so it was only fitting that I give it to my favorite Aunt.    
And my most recent applique finish "Scrap Happy Baskets".   You can find the tutorial for piecing the block here on my blog.  The applique templates are also provided.  
See how boring the basket was with no applique?  Turn this block upside down and it could be a mushroom.  So many ideas on what could be hiding under that mushroom, maybe a ladybug.  Applique opens the door to so many possibilities. If you haven't been bitten by the applique bug yet I hope that you've been inspired to give it a try!

~  Lea Anne ~

Today's freebie from Corey@ LittleMissShabby





Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Just finished a baby quilt where I did a lot of machine applique. I'm now starting a pieced quilt that includes simple applique blocks, and I'm going to try needle-turn applique. Thanks for making applique sound fun; I need the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your applique quilts are just beautiful, esp. the machine quilting on Summer Romance. Just love your Scrap Happy Baskets and hope I can find the time to brighten up my winter sewing by making one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The applique is lovely and your quilting is divine! What a wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the Jelly Bean Twist quilt available for purchase? I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty applique! Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your work is just so beautiful. Love the jelly bean quilt. I see all those little pieces of fun and I am looking forward to see what they will become.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a variety here today and all lovely, especially love the applique baskets

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may just be tempted after seeing your beautiful work. The applique really makes the quilts sing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't done a lot of machine applique, but love to do hand applique. I really need to remember to add a little pop here and there. Your quilts are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many bright, happy colors ! :) The new project should be fun to see !

    Love all the others ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always think that applique adds so much too and love all of your projects! Isn't it fun to use up your leftover scraps from another project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree... your projects are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scrap Happy Baskets is my favorite! All your applique looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! Don't you just have some gorgeous projects.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lea Anne your work is always amazing -- thanks for sharing your love of applique with everyone -- it's so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilts, each one. Applique just doesn't agree with me, it never turns out right. So I've learned to just admire other's work, it's much less stressful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...