Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Scrappy Spring Basket Quilt Block Tutorial

The Cutting List

Background(white)fabric
(2) 12 1/2 x 2
(2) 5 3/4 x 4 1/2
(2) 5 1/2 x 2 1/2
(2) 2 1/2 squares

The handle(pink)
(1) 2 x 4 1/2

Basket(yellow and red)
(1) 8 1/2 x 1 1/2(red gingham)
(1) 8 1/1 x 4 1/2(yellow)
.
You can find the PDF file for the applique by clicking here. Make sure you print at actual size, no scaling.  The applique shapes are for raw edge fusible.  If you plan to do needle turn applique you need to add a seam allowance.  Another tip:  all circles are the same size.
Okay lets put this girl together!
For the basket you'll  need the 8 1/2 x  4 1/2 and both 2 1/2 squares.  On the left you can see that I've stitched from corner to corner.  This can be done by drawing a line and stitching or the method I prefer is using a guide on the bed of my machine.  If you save corner units like me don't forget to add that second line of stitching seen on the right. 
 Cut off those corners...
 Press towards the basket
 stitch the  8 1/2 x 1 1/2 to the top, pressing towards the gingham.
 Sew a 5 1/2 x 2 1/2 piece to each side, pressing towards the white.
 For the handle you'll  need to sew a 5 3/4 x 4 1/2 white piece to each side of the 
2 1/2 x 4 1/2 handle piece.  Pressing towards the handle.  For some reason I didn't picture the next step which is to sew this unit to the top of the basket, pressing towards the basket. In the picture this one is pressed towards the handle, I changed the direction on the next block.
 Add a 12 1/2 x 2 to the top and bottom. On the top piece I pressed open(makes the applique lay flatter) and the bottom towards the white.  And that's it!  So quick and easy.  After cutting each block can be pieced in under 5 minutes.  Seriously the cutting is the hardest part when working with scraps.  
 Now all you need to do is add the applique using the template and placement guide.
You can find more about my Scrappy Spring Baskets here and here.

~ Lea Anne ~

How about we link this up at Connie's over at FreeMotionbytheRiver.  Hop on over and link up with us, it's a great way to meet new bloggers and be inspired.  













Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I love this little basket block. So cute. A great way to use up those scraps too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee! Next on my list is a four basket wall hanging for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun pattern and tutorial! Thanks for sharing at Linky Tuesday! Freemotion by the River

    ReplyDelete
  4. many thanks for this tutorial, will have to get the printer sorted, seems the computer will not reinstall it when I tried to make it wireless I must have offended it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lea Anne for the tutorial. It's such a cheerful quilt block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, I pinned this for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another terrific pattern!!! Thank you sew much!! Hugs, Amie :0))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the tutorial! This is going on my "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great combination of machine stitching and hand sewing........ Lovely....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this little basket, and the quilt. The whole quilt is so happy and fresh looking. I love it. Thank you so much for sharing. I love your posts.
    Carole in Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this basket block. Maybe it will bring spring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGosh Lee Anne, this is darling! I have three granddaughters, 9, 4 and 3. My goal is a quilt every year. I am adding this to the list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...