Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Gingham Quilts ~ Two, Three and Four

 Yah!  I'm ahead of schedule with my Gingham Porch Quilt of the Month for 2023.  


Since these quilts will be used as decor for the rocking chair on the front porch I'm using the cheapest fabric I can find.  So far Hobby Lobby Kona cottons and Walmart Waverly solids have been working out great.  I've also used some poly cottons like the navy blue below.


Then with the scraps I'm making a scrappy backing.


The red one didn't turn out very well. But I think it'll be good enough for the front porch.


The pattern used to make these quilts is a free PDF and can be found by clicking here.  It's very well written and easy to assembly.  I could have done the math myself but why?


I changed a couple things in the pattern.  First was the fabric requirements. I decided to start out with 2 yds of each print and use the scraps to make the backing instead of using a separate fabric for the backing. The second change was made the green quilt.  The pattern instructions call for strip sets and subcutting  them.  I found that to be a pain with the strip sets being so large.  So I cut the strips and then subcut the strips into squares.  For me this was quicker and easier. 


Each quilt is quilted exactly the same.  Just jumping from corner to corner to give the illusion of continuous circles.  And as for a quilt label, nothing fancy is needed since it may not survive life in the wild. I used a permanent fabric pen to add my name and the date on the back of each quilt.  


Now to decide what color I should make next.

Maybe a nice soft pretty spring color? Pink? Yellow? Lavender? 




Until next time...

I hope you find time to stitch up something sweet!


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Great porch quilts! They'll add some color, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the more ‘ balance’ of color in the gingham quilt. The other just seems…unfinished? Thank you for the pattern. I follow you on Feedly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty quilts. Thy will look lovely on your porch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love yr porch quilts!! I think they all turned out great!!! You are inspiring since I've lost my mojo all of Feb. I gotta get going!!! Great quilting too and love the backing choice you made!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best way to recharge quilting mojo is with a quick and easy project. I went months without stepping foot in my studio. Things just kept piling up in there, it became my catch all drawer for the entire house. After knocking out a few cobwebs I pulled out an easy to finish UFO. It was all I needed to recharge the mojo.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...