Saturday, November 11, 2023

Fabric Shopping ~ A New Quilt Planned

Believe me when I say, I really didn't want to leave the house yesterday.  I have a family dinner today and that means I should have been in the kitchen, not shopping for fabric.  Being on a tight schedule would make you think it would have been a quick shopping trip.  I can't just get what I need and leave.  I have to look at all the pretty things.  Do I need a rainbow fat quarter bundle?  Nope, but it sure is cute and fun to pet.


By the way I'm shopping at Joann's.  They have a ton of new Robert Kaufman Kona bundles and yardage.  A bit over priced but still fun to play with for a little bit.


I rummaged through all of the new precuts before moving onto more things I had no intentions of buying.


A quick stroll through the books section and look what I found!  A Lori Holt book.  Yep,  I looked at every pretty picture in the book before putting it back on the shelf.


It was time to get serious about finding what I need for the new quilt.   Do I need 4 bolts of red?


No.  These are all partial bolts of the same print.  EQ8 estimates about 8 yds.  This will be a big quilt. Queen size for  my bed.  88 x 93.  I haven't done the quilt math yet, so it could be more or it could be less.  I would also like a little extra to put in the stash.


It looks like a solid from a distance but it has a very faint print.


I ended up purchasing 10 yds.  (1) 8 yd. piece and (1) 2 yd. piece.  The lady at the counter kindly wrapped them both on one bolt. 


Here's the reason why I had to go shopping yesterday, a SALE and a COUPON.  10 yds. of fabric for $43.  It was actually $42 and some change but they asked if I would like to round it up for a donation. 


Of course cheap fabric comes with it's issues.  Check out the selvage.  See the bleeding?  This will need to be prewashed and tested for bleeding.  Hopefully the old trick of salt and vinegar will work. If not, I  also have a full box of color catchers.  Wish me luck!


Until next time...

I hope you find time to stitch up something sweet!










Pin It

1 comment:

  1. If you do an internet search for Colorways by Vicki Welsh you will find her article, "Save My Bleeding Quilt". In it she details a process for removing excess dye that has run from one fabric to another on a finished quilt. I have used her technique to great success with finished quilts. I also have used the technique on suspicious fabric before using it in a quilt and found that all of the excess dye is removed from the fabric and no further dye is released.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. At this time I can only respond to comments in the comments section. So if you want to see my reply to your comment check the notify me option in the bottom right corner of the comment box and blogger will let you know when I respond to your comment. Thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...