Monday, November 20, 2023

Starting A New Quilt ~ 364 HST's!

 What better way to end the year than with a new Christmas quilt for my bed.  The 364 half square triangles are the hardest part of this quilt so might as well make them first.


This weekend I made 224 HST's using the Magic 8 method.  If you've never heard of this method, a google search should be all you need.  Seems like everyone has made a tutorial for this one, even me many years ago.


The HST's were made a tad bigger than needed so they could be trimmed to the perfect size.


To speed up the trimming process I made a block locking ruler using Lori Holts 2.5 inch ruler and three layers of painters tape trimmed to fit the ruler.  I made a video tutorial a couple of years ago for how to make your own block locking ruler   You can find it here.


The little Lori Holt ruler is a great ruler but I would not recommend it for making a locking ruler.  The reason is, it has a non skid texture on the back.  A locking ruler needs to slide across the fabric easily   It still worked I just had to play with it a bit to get it to lock and slide.


Until next time...

I hope you find time to stitch up something sweet!













Pin It

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. All comments made come to me as an e-mail. I try to respond to all comments. If you ask a question and do not get an email response, this means I can't respond to you via email due to one of the settings on your device or account. So, I can only answer your question in the comment section with your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...